Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I wrote on here last week about me laying my bike down and need a litle help now. i thought it was just a few cosmetic parts like cowling and peg plate, but yesterday i took everything off and wasn't pleased about what i found. the bracket that is welded on the frame that holds the cowling, radiator overflow tank and headlight assembly bracket is REALLY bent. im not sure what to do. i guess my question is, do you think i would just be able to slowly bend it back to normal or is it gonna be to weak and break. there's isn't really much i can do unless i were to buy a new frame and that isn't gonna happen haha. your opinions would be more than helpful thanks.

here are the pic from the front, top and side
:feedback:

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Really your only option at this point is to slowly attempt to bend it back. It looks like it has quite the curve to it, so what I might recommend trying is getting two C clamps and a couple pieces of flat steel (bar stock or something similar). Put the C clamps on either side of the bend (flat steel inside the C clamps, sort of sandwiching the bent portion of the frame) an tighten the C clamps till it's as straight as you can get it.

That'd be my go at it anyway. Someone else here might have another idea :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Body/Welding shop... A good, experienced torch man should be able to heat and bend it back to where it's usable... or remove it from the frame totally... heat/bend/beat it back into shape and re-weld it into place.

You find some old dude who's been working metal for a living and you might find he/she can help you out.

Also... there may be someone here on the forum that knows of a wrecked Versys that has an undamaged bracket that you might be able to obtain and use to replace your bracket...

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the replies i really appreciate it, yea i will have to find a good welder if i cant bend it back. hey jdrocks, i am definetly interested in that bracket whenever you find it just let me know. thank to all.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Bend it back and not to worry about its strength as it is not a critical load bearing structure. To reinforce after the repair, you may use epoxy steel to give it some strength.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It has been my experience that in a situation like this it is often possible to use a medium or large Cresent wrench with the jaws closed around one edge. Then use the length of the Cresent wrench as a lever and bend the metal back out. Make sure you slide the jaws as far as possible over the edge for maximum control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.