Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been reading on suspension set up for the Versys and have a fundamental question: Is the setting something directly related to the riders weight and intended use, or is it more of an "art" going more on what feels right. I'm coming from a KLR (my first bike) to the Versys and am pretty blown away with the difference of suspension. So to be honest I don't know what it should feel like. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. BTW if it matters I weigh 200 lbs. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Setting the initial sag is only related the combined rider and bike weight. You setup the sag to put you in the right range for the suspension to do it's work better, but this only takes care of static conditions and does not take into account damping. You can do damping by feel while the bike is stationary (but few people I know can get that right like that). It's a lot easier to adjust damping using a test loop. This thread may help. If you read the version on the Versys Forum that thread has a much longer discussion about setup and what people found out trying to setup their bikes that may help you.

Gustavo

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I weigh about as much, and I can tell you what settings I like which works well on rough fire roads and pavement alike... The springs do set in over time, especially the rear which I tightened twice by 2000 miles.
My front preload is at maximum from the start which barely prevents bottoming out and reduces some excess dive, with 1/2 turn out on rebound damping.
For the rear, you could try 3rd preload setting to start and eventually 4th which also just prevents bottoming out in deep ruts and allow full use of suspension, with rebound damping at 10 clicks out from hardest setting. Most have it at stiffer setting which I find hangs it up in compressed position rear between bumps making it too harsh...

·
Registered
926 Posts
You are going to have to find out which works best for your riding style. I am one that likes a nice soft supension with just the right amount of damping. I weigh 195ish probably and have the preloads about in the middle and the damping 1 click on the firm side of middle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts