Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the sun going down so early this time of year, riding after work in the late afternoon is brutal. I am looking for something to tint my shield that can be taken off or put on relatively quickly. I really don't need a dark shield all the time and need something for the transition times from day to night.

Has anyone tried the "Tint-A-Shield"? I wonder how it "really" works??? Their web site is http://tint-a-sheild.com/.

If anyone has tried them or something similar, please let me know. I am still looking at my options.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Glad you found this. I am going to give it a try...You are correct the sun has been brutal and my sunglasses don't cut it, just don't fit well under the bucket...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks pretty cool. I just wonder if it goes on as easy as they show. With only about 12 bucks to lose plus about $6 shipping I doubt we could go wrong with giving it a try.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm ok with the bright sun until it comes straight in my face. Often it has happened when I'm going one direction that puts the sun to my side, then I'm going another direction that puts it to my face and then BAAM, I'm coming over a hill and it's blinding.

A big part of motorcycling, especially on long rides, is pulling over to put on or take off stuff, still, I try to avoid it. So to deal with direct sun I put a strip or two of electrical tape across the top of my shield that stays on, so when the sun gets direct, I just tilt my head forward or slightly tilt the helmet forward. Works great for me and I won't do without it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got a roll of "Limo Dark" at Wally World for less than $10. It's an 18" X 36" roll, probably the same stuff as the tint a shield. I found it's nearly impossible to get all of the bubbles out so the view is pretty distorted. I usually cut the tint so it just covers the top half of my shield. It blocks the sun, yet I can see the road without any tint or distortion.

Since I have so much on the roll, I don't have to be really careful with the stuff. Peel it off at dark and just stuff it in my pocket. Also I often put two layers on to make it even darker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 on two rows of electrical tape. I've done it for years on all my helmets and it works like the brim of a baseball cap. I even used reflective tape on one of my hemets a few years ago for extra visibility for on-coming vehicles at night. It was probably a good idea but I'm too cheap and lazy to have done it a second time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used one but couldn't get out all the bubbles. It was too distorted for my taste. I ended up cutting it into strips and used it on the top part of the shield and it works great. Just tilt your head down and you can ride into the sun. Be sure to put in on the inside of the lens or a strong wind will blow it off. I'm going to check out limo tint at Wally world, sounds like the same stuff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i use the reusable tint for cars available anywhere. cut a nice strip of it and to install on outside of shield spray bothsides with water and a bit of dish soap. Put on a lot of liquid then squeegie it off...a couple tries and you will not have any bubbles or distorting. I do it all the time with every shield. Also used it as a tank scratch protector. The stuff stays on amazingly well, yet can be pulled off at anytime and even reapplied. It is a wonderful item and have made many for riding buddies.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I tried the spray, but I think with the complex curves on my shield I couldn't get the flat sheet to fit it without some bubbles. I'm going to keep trying 'tho.

I like the idea of using it as a tank shield. :clap: 'cut it to any shape you like, take it off and make a new one anytime you want.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a good video on webbikeworld showing a guy install a tank slapper on a ducati gt...that was the best video i have seen to show you how to apply such things....i never would have used as much liquid w/o watching that video but it works awesome. Somewhere on here i have a pic of my tank protector done with the black. I first used it as a pattern but liked it so much i just stuck with it...still have the clear 3M.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use a thing called a Supervisor. It's a removable peak that clips into brackets that you stick along the top of the visor.

The advantage of the peak is that it shades the visor so you get no flare, which can still happen with tint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts