Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, how common is the tapping of the top of your helmet to warn about cop/danger ahead?

Had a discussion on a car forum about motorcycle hand signals. Most there are race car drivers so not the average cage people, and a good handful of experienced motorcycle riders. I was shocked by the fact no one knew about the tapping the helmet to warn another rider of cop ahead.

Here is an example of a recent ride I took out at Lake Mead. You can see the lead rider in this pack tapping his helmet to warn me of a Ranger up the road several more in the pack did so as well to make sure I saw it. Moto Bros saved me a ticket the size of the national debt (I would have been 30 MPH over)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've only seen it once or twice in 6 years. I'm more likely to rapidly flash my lights as a warning to all motorists. That has never failed to get a friendly wave back.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I do it, but I think it, and m/c hand signals in general, are more common for folks my age (57).

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
common here on the west..was doing it yesterday actually

Reactions: Kyle E

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts

In Minnesota, that means LARGE DEER AHEAD WITH MASSIVE ANTLERAGE.

Or, sometimes people kind of make a fast peace sign over their helmet... meaning "antlers ahead" :surprise:

"speed trap ahead" sometimes is also relayed by pretending like you are dribbling a basket ball with your left hand... meaning, push it down, or slow it down...

but I got that from a HARLEY RIDER once in Michigan.

Saved me some jing though!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. Also if I see a biker on the side of the road....
Yeah I always "ask" the rider on the side with an OK gesture to see if I need to pull over.
Or If I pull over to adjust a jacket or whatnot I give a thumbs up if I see another biker coming so they don't wonder and loop back around to check in.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I tap my helmet to check the vents, guess it doesn't hurt for people to slow down thinking I'm passing on vital intelligence.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I tap my helmet to check the vents, guess it doesn't hurt for people to slow down thinking I'm passing on vital intelligence.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
LOL same here. Folks shouldn't be going 30 MPH over speed limit. Geez. It's a public street not a race track.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
759 Posts
First time I saw the helmet tapping was up in the Georgia mountains. Didn't take long for me to figure out what they meant! I do it in Florida but I think a lot of the riders here are unaware of that signal.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've never noticed the tapping before. I've seen and used the "basketball dribble" signal for slowing down. Also flashing high beams.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts