Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at walmart yesterday and bought these panasonic slimz ear phones for $10 figuring they might make good helmet speakers. I put them in my helmet last night they fit great. I was able to move the plastic piece and hook it around one of the liner snaps, and fed the wire under the liner and snapped it back in place. I used a little velcro for extra measures. tried the helmet on after words and plugged it into my zune it sounds good, and they are so thin they fit nicely in the ear pocket of my scorpion comfortably. I can't wait to road test this, what A bargain for only $10.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Great idea! I was not too excited about the 50 bucks or more that many "helmet speakers" were going for. They have lousy reviews too.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Excellent!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I got Sony (in the ear) phones for my ipod. They block wind noise unlike the looser fitting standard ipod ear pieces so I can hear better at lower volumes. They also don't fall out when I put my helmet on.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update on these ear phones, they served the purpose I was hoping for. I had music, although the quality of sound might not be the best, but part of that might be due to the fact there is a small gap between them and my ears. there isn't an issue of discomfort, or a problem with them falling out like ear buds can have when I put my helmet on. so over all rating for me would be 3 stars out of 5. plus I wasn't at full volume.

·
Registered
852 Posts
try using ear plugs to block the wind noise but you'll probably have to turn up the volume. You may also want to use a headphone amp like a boostaroo to increase the volume. Just make sure you get the amp that uses AA batteries and not AAAA batteries. Those AAAA's are hard to come by unless you rip open a 9v battery, then you get 6 of 'em.

For a while I was using a set of iASUS helmet speakers which worked well but once I tried using noise isolating in ear headphones I haven't gone back.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Those slims look better than the sony mdr-j10's i grabbed yesterday...over ear design keeps them in place...only trouble is getting them off before removing the helmet....if i don't, it can be a little painful. They allow much lower listening volume than I was used to on the 10 dollar specials I had...the wires pulled out of them but they lasted the season...almost!
:blah:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Funny we should be talking about this again. I have a pair of ER6i's, and love them. However, due to negligence on my part, I lost one of the rubber thingy's on one of the ear buds. So as an emergency solution, I went to walmart & bought a pair of these. Meet the Koss noise isolation ear buds. They don't block the wind noise as good as the ER6i's, but they're pretty good for less than $25. I wanted helmet speakers, but the wind noise is just too great. If there was a helmet that totally blocked wind noise, then helmet speakers would be great!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tried ear buds once or twice jvc i think and they did not stay put when I put my helmet on. Other than those few times I have always rode without music, and that is basicaly what I am used to. so having something to listen to takes a little getting used to. I also want to make sure I can still hear my surroundings as well, for things like emergency vehicles and such. I don't want it to be a distraction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts