Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm actually about to pull the trigger on a 2012 Versys. I've been contemplating between it and Suzuki SFV 650.

We are being relocated to Cali via military, and I'm looking for a commuter bike to work, which is approx 27 miles but 50-60 mins in normal rush hour (in a car). Primarily highway and interstate driving. Lane splitting/sharing is legal, so I would like an agile, fairly narrow bike that's more upright. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. From what I've read, the Versys looks like a great option. I've owned 2 ZX6Rs and a GSXR 750 in the past.

I was offered a 2012 V with 1300 miles for $4700, which appears to be a great price from a dealership. Initial sticker was $5500.

Would appreciate input on this decision. Due to the forum, I'm sure the opinions will be a little biased :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Price is a tad High IMO..
It sounds like it will be perfect for what you are wanting to do, it is a very agile bike. Just understand it will be considerably down on power compared to your other bikes you have owned. It will do everything you need it to do however.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hello and welcome Army. Agreed the agility of the 650 would suite your needs perfectly. I'd try to get the price a little lower if you can.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
It's the ideal bike for lane splitting & will be better than a cup of strong coffee on your way to work everyday!!!

As for the price, check out C/list for comp's in your area.

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
...I was offered a 2012 V with 1300 miles for $4700, which appears to be a great price from a dealership. Initial sticker was $5500.

Would appreciate input on this decision. Due to the forum, I'm sure the opinions will be a little biased :)

Thanks!
:welcome:... and check out the FOR SALE section...!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
welcome to the forum - versys will definitely do the trick, I came to it from a 95 zx6r. what is your MOS?
koburn.. I'm a prior 13B (cannon crew member), 25B (Information Systems operator), 79R (Recruiter), and now a 79V (Career Counselor). I've had the pleasure of being assigned as an Officer Accesions NCO in my current assignment, and my next. I process Warrant Officer and Officer applications for in-service Soldiers. Our next location is Camp Parks, CA.. Bay area.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1300 mls on the clock is low mileage tho' Markie!

And the price looks right for Cally;
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/5363330687.html

Although it may be worth spending a little extra...........
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcd/5356281433.html
I'd like to have a new model, but we are trying to spend as little as possible, as this will primarily only be used as a commuter -- chances are I'll end up selling it once we relocate.

Thanks for the info though. I drooled a little over that 2015 :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Original sticker price was $5500.00 ? Really?
Granted, this is a BMW / Triump dealership .. Everything there is PRICEY. $4700 seems pretty fair, from what I've seen in my current location and where I'm headed. I've found some better deals, but no where close.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Granted, this is a BMW / Triump dealership .. Everything there is PRICEY. $4700 seems pretty fair, from what I've seen in my current location and where I'm headed. I've found some better deals, but no where close.
Yea for what its worth, I got a new left over 2014 model with zero miles for $4,800 before trade etc..
But if those deals don;t exist around you then I don;t think you'll go wrong with that price on a 2012. Its essentially a new bike.

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
Versys is a great little bike for Cali. I'm in SoCal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea for what its worth, I got a new left over 2014 model with zero miles for $4,800 before trade etc..
But if those deals don;t exist around you then I don;t think you'll go wrong with that price on a 2012. Its essentially a new bike.
I want to say thank you for mentioning the deal you got. I called some big dealers with left over 14s, and they matched the price I was paying for a 2012 at $4700. Additionally, they are 5 hours away and are delivering it for free. Amazing service!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
koburn.. I'm a prior 13B (cannon crew member), 25B (Information Systems operator), 79R (Recruiter), and now a 79V (Career Counselor). I've had the pleasure of being assigned as an Officer Accesions NCO in my current assignment, and my next. I process Warrant Officer and Officer applications for in-service Soldiers. Our next location is Camp Parks, CA.. Bay area.
I met a prior Career Counselor at AIT for 91B (small arms and artillery repair), He was pretty helpful with the career advice and had fun competing with him for the highest scores and fastest times.

welcome to the forum, hope you stick around.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I want to say thank you for mentioning the deal you got. I called some big dealers with left over 14s, and they matched the price I was paying for a 2012 at $4700. Additionally, they are 5 hours away and are delivering it for free. Amazing service!!
Hey, now THAT is service! That's probably an extra 80 bucks or so in gas round trip for them, not to mention paying someone for the 10 hour trip.. Holy Cow! Deal of the year right there!

DUH or shipping it, that would only be a few hundred bucks, either way that's a great deal!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, now THAT is service! That's probably an extra 80 bucks or so in gas round trip for them, not to mention paying someone for the 10 hour trip.. Holy Cow! Deal of the year right there!

DUH or shipping it, that would only be a few hundred bucks, either way that's a great deal!
Do you smoke cigars? I wouldn't have even given it a thought if you wouldn't have mentioned it. I can send you a couple of my favs if you do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts