Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding my 08 versys for about a year now. It is my first bike and has about 33k on it. I bought from a guy on ADV. Just moved to Colorado and have done a bit of mountain riding but mostly I ride it to and from work.

Today while I was pulling into my parking spot at work she decided to take a nap on her right side. :nono: First time...I'm sure not her last.

Have a good day,
Dan

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hello Dan!

I hope you had crash bars, how did it fare in the fall? :sorry:

Curious, as I live on a pretty consistent 750 feet above sea level, does the fuel injection keep up well in the altitude changes/peaks and such?

Last I was "west" and not in an airplane, I had a '76 Plymouth that was carbed, and I remember having to 'encourage' it to the top of Pike's Peak. Once it was on flat ground, it was a screamin mother, but it did not like altitude.

Welcome sir!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Dan!

I hope you had crash bars, how did it fare in the fall? :sorry:

Curious, as I live on a pretty consistent 750 feet above sea level, does the fuel injection keep up well in the altitude changes/peaks and such?

Last I was "west" and not in an airplane, I had a '76 Plymouth that was carbed, and I remember having to 'encourage' it to the top of Pike's Peak. Once it was on flat ground, it was a screamin mother, but it did not like altitude.

Welcome sir!
No issues with the fi. I had it over 10k last weekend and it ran just like it always does. I love this bike...but it is my first so I might be bias.

It does have crash bars that the PO put on after he dropped it. One of the reasons I bought this bike was that it was cheap and already had scars. I knew I would drop it and if I had a new bike I would be upset. As it stands now, laying it down didn't concern me one bit. I'm just glad it was in a parking lot at pretty much stand still. Doesn't seem to have caused any damage that matters.

I can see Pikes Peak from my office window.

·
Registered
739 Posts
All good.

Funny, one of my doctors suggests that I might move west to get away from extreme heat, high humidity, and extreme sub zero temps.
I told him if the place also had NO mosquitos or SNAKES that I was "in", but I figured no such place existed.
He thought some altitude in Colorado might come close. I know you guys can get loads of snow, but I got that here too.
Is there such a place, town or valley like that?

(ok, maybe not Denver..)

I must ride out there and investigate...:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I moved from the Midwest and I will say the weather and topography is so much better. Much less bugs here...but still snakes. If you were up above 8k I think you have even less bugs and no snakes but I'm not an expert. I would love to live in Crested Butte or Ouray.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I rode the Million Dollar Highway through Ouray a couple of years ago... What a treat that was.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
welcome... good trhing you have crash bars, id cry alot if i dropped my V (no crash bars yet)

IMO the V is a great all around bike and ive been riding 22 years and have owned 30+ bikes so far

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Here in Utah we have few mosquitos except right next to lakes. A mile or two away and you won't have a problem because it is too dry. Anywhere in the Rockies you'll find biting flies if you get high enough. Snakes? Not in the cities but you might see them in the 'burbs or out on a trail somewhere.

The fuel injection is too lean on my new '15. Idk if it is a factory issue or an altitude issue. In theory, a carburetor gets too rich at higher elevations, so the mixture has to be leaned out to run best. Carbs meter fuel based on volume, but mixture is based on weight, so with the thinner air up high the mixture ends up rich. Fuel injection should compensate for elevation and temperature if it is properly programmed and if the FI system is properly adjusted to begin with.

Dropped my bike in the garage. Cracked the fairing where the front turn signal mounts. It doesn't show unless one looks closely, but I'll replace it when I can scratch up the $200 (ouch!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts