Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thanks in part to the great info on this forum, I've chosen a new 2012 yellow/black Versys as my first mc. I put ~30k miles on my old 2006 Vespa 250, and a few on my old '77 P200 in the SF Bay Area in about 2.5 years. Love to ride!!! Will have to get comfortable on a much bigger bike through the twisties.

I currently live in Cle Elum, WA, and am looking forward to my first ride on the Cascade Loop. Part of the reason I chose this bike is so I can ride from here to SF when I get homesick ;).

I ordered the yellow/black sidebags, heated grips, and taller windscreen. I have to wait one week and one day before it's here, and it's really really real.....

Oh, I also test-rode the new Honda 500 - sweet, but yesterday's demo ride on the Versys sealed the deal.

Thanks for the great info here!

·
Premium Member
16,141 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question re extended warranty

I forgot to ask: what are your thoughts on getting the extended warranty? I purchased the 4 year extended warranty through Kawasaki, but after speaking to the service manager about the reliability of the Versys, am now having buyer's remorse (i.e, the $$ spent). I have 60 days to back out on it.....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I forgot to ask: what are your thoughts on getting the extended warranty? I purchased the 4 year extended warranty through Kawasaki, but after speaking to the service manager about the reliability of the Versys, am now having buyer's remorse (i.e, the $$ spent). I have 60 days to back out on it.....

Thoughts?
Welcome to a great bike and forum. Personally I wouldn't buy the extra warranty cause I like working on my own stuff, cars and bikes but I did buy extra warranty on a 2011 Nissan I bought last year :)...

There is always a chance you could get a lemon but with Kawasaki's reliability record or any metric bike, that is doubtful.

·
Banned
895 Posts
:welcome:":welcome:Waspy!!!!

Ignore my last message to you as you have now explained why you give yourself the Vespa moniker (I had to spell check that one!);)

Extra warranty?.....my view on extra insurance is that it can become a drug to some people, we must break the habit, keep your money & spend it on beer!!:cheers::devil::cheers:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts

Thoughts?
If it were me, I'd back out. Generally, extended warranties (for homes, cars, appliances, motorcycles, etc.) are high profit and low risk for the warranty seller. They commonly won't cover "normal wear" items like tires, batteries, chains, brake pads and so forth, and that's what you will end up spending money on.

IMHO, the Versys is reliable as a stone, though a bit more complex. You might have to spend some hard earned $$$ on the occasional repair, but the odds are pretty reasonable it could be less than what you're paying for the extended warranty.

My Versys doesn't have a pile of miles on it just yet, but my BMW K75S has over 54,000 on the clock and it has never needed anything beyond regular maintenance and a little TLC (knock on wood). It's a German stone. :D

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
:welcome: As for the warranty issue it would be a "peace of mind," if you do not enjoy wrenching on your on bike. Hope you enjoy your "versatile" machine.
Also jealous of your locale for riding..."Heaven on two wheels"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts