Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This should have been my first post but here we are.

About me:
I'm a "new" rider (quotations because I grew up riding mini dirtbikes and quads in the Midwest in my early teens) with a 2012 Versys 650 as my first street bike. I work mostly in commercial video production as a Camera Assistant and also Video Editor when I can (especially in these pandemic times), and wanted something that could easily hold a small toolkit and was city+highway-worthy enough as both a commuter and something I can ride the 17 hour trek to visit family in Michigan. The Versys fit the bill perfectly :)

I'll soon have side rack panels for some semi-rigid panniers for that trip home, and hope to ride all the way through the winter pending any snowfall (there was almost zero this past winter).

Thanks for having me!

FEAT. NYC Trash

FEAT. GF's Vespa & Stranger's Nissan Versa (the 3 V's)

FEAT. DMV Road Test in the rain

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome. I'm from and live in the Bronx. I have a Versys-X 300 chained to the wooded light pole downstairs.

I use it often enough. I want the 650 in the future for sure. Enjoy that bike!

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome. I'm from and live in the Bronx. I have a Versys-X 300 chained to the wooded light pole downstairs.

I use it often enough. I want the 650 in the future for sure. Enjoy that bike!

Very nice! I'm uptown Manhattan.

What's your experience been parking on a sidewalk? I've so far lucked out with a pretty consistent street spot+anchor point on a steel railing, but I'm curious your experience with a pole.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Welcome aboard from San Antonio, Texas. Your photos remind me of how fortunate I am to have a garage!

·
Registered
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome aboard from San Antonio, Texas. Your photos remind me of how fortunate I am to have a garage!
Very fortunate indeed.

It's double 14mm U-locked with a 15mm chain and alarmed disc lock, but if I ever see evidence that it's been looked over or scouted I luckily have a friend with a garage in another borough that I can lay low with for a bit. For whatever reason, there isn't a single bike on my street that's even disc locked let alone chained down, so I doubt I'd be first pick considering the other (often newer) options.

The cost of riding in the city...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Very nice! I'm uptown Manhattan.

What's your experience been parking on a sidewalk? I've so far lucked out with a pretty consistent street spot+anchor point on a steel railing, but I'm curious your experience with a pole.
I take my plate off to avoid tickets and the meter maids that occasionally come by ignore it.

I've been parking it there for a year so far.

My neighbor gets up super early, like 4:30-5am and goes outside for a smoke and recently told me some guy walking by sat on it and tried to move it but he looked down and saw the chain.

I don't park in the street anymore. Alternate side of the street rip-off bureaucracy and people backing into my scooter have stopped me from that.

This place is the devil I know. I can get away with parking on the sidewalk in most places. But I always take off the plate.

The people who park in the street like me using the sidewalk instead because they have more space to park. I'd definely mess up the ability to squeeze in 3 cars by the pole right before the hydrant.

I can also see the bike from upstairs where I can send down a flower pot if someone tries stealing it and I always have my parking space in that spot.

No one has really messed with it though.
That same neighbor sits on it. I don't mind though. The handlebar leans against the pole if someone tries to sit on it so it won't fall over.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Very fortunate indeed.

It's double 14mm U-locked with a 15mm chain and alarmed disc lock, but if I ever see evidence that it's been looked over or scouted I luckily have a friend with a garage in another borough that I can lay low with for a bit. For whatever reason, there isn't a single bike on my street that's even disc locked let alone chained down, so I doubt I'd be first pick considering the other (often newer) options.

The cost of riding in the city...
View attachment 180653
Try and get a better chain because I think they can cut and break that chain with one of those long bolt cutters. We have the same lock. I had to put white lithium grease in the lock because it was scaring me and not coming out.

·
Registered
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try and get a better chain because I think they can cut and break that chain with one of those long bolt cutters. We have the same lock. I had to put white lithium grease in the lock because it was scaring me and not coming out.

I would hope it's thick enough at 15mm 😓 😓 😓 I got this chain specifically because it was supposedly extremely hard to cut even with 48 inch cutters. It's also even more elevated now, and my alarm would go off if they tried to adjust the bike to bring it to the ground and I too am very close by within earshot and ready to throw things :LOL:

Noted on that lithium grease thing, I'm hoping it doesn't get sticky in the cold but time will tell. Now I need an early smoking neighbor lookout...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts