Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)I just picked up my V today. Put a hundred miles on it on the ride home. Yep, I think I will keep her. Waiting on the bags, and the fuel gauge don't work. Other than that I like it. I also have a 1988 Hawk 650 with a few mods, for the days when I need to get real crazy. And I also had a 1985 Nighthawk S, But I just gave it to my brother. Looking forward to racking up the miles. I ride 52miles round trip to work, so I should get this break-in done and over with. Question. Where do you get your oil filters? Can I pick up a Fram at WallyLand? Which one? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, here's an except that should answer your question:

These Oil Filters have 20 x 1.5mm threads, 14 psi by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve, 2.3" O.D. gasket, 2.5" to 3.5" long. If you have the room, I recommend the longer filters.

Motorcycle Filters - None are recommended:

* AC Delco PF2135
* AMSOil SMF103
* Carquest 85358
* FRAM PH6017A
* Honda 15410-MCJ-000
* K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
* NAPA Gold 1358
* Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
* STP SMO 17
* WIX 51358

Recommended filters - All have superior filtering:

About 2.5 inches long.

* Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
* Mobil M1-108, about $12. Made by Champion.
* Bosch 3300, about $6. Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.

* Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
* Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10. Made by Champion.
* Bosch 3323, about $6. Made By Champion.
* WalMart SuperTech ST7317, about $2. Made by Champion.

Buy these filters:
Automobile Filters, about 2.5 inches long.

* AC Delco PF1237
* Baldwin B1400
* Firestone TF2876
* Hastings LF113
* NAPA Gold 1365
* Purolator L14612
* STP S-02876
* WalMart SuperTech ST6607
* WIX 51365

Automobile Filters, about 3.25 inches long.

* AC Delco PF-2057
* Auto Pro 2356
* Autopride CF240AP
* Baldwin B1402
* Carquest 85356
* Carquest Red B4620
* Casite CF240
* Castrol 7317
* Champion Labs Ph2867
* Defense Filters Dl7317
* Deutsch D-370
* Federated Filters LF240F

Automobile Filters, about 3.25 inches long.

* Fram Double Guard DG7317
* Fram PH7317
* Fram Tough Guard TG7317
* Fram Xtra Guard XG7317
* Group 7 V4610
* Group 7 V4620
* Hastings LF240
* Mighty M4612
* Motorcraft Long Life FL-821
* Napa FIL1356
* Napa Gold 1356
* Parts Plus PH2867
* Pennzoil PZ-109
* Penske 7317
* Powerflo SL14610
* Powerflo SL14620
* Pro Gauge PGO-4620
* Pro Tec 164
* Promotive PH4610
* Pronto PO3593A
* Purolator L14610
* Service Champ OF-4622
* Shell SH48
* Shell SH529
* Stp S-02867.
* Valvoline VO50
* Warner PH2867
* Wix 51356

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow

Hey thanks guys. I rode to work last night (3rd shift sucks) 26 miles of Deer infested backroads. Low beam only lights up 20 ft of road and most of the front fender. Took a bit longer to get there. Got that fixed now. But I still have another issue. Why no centerstand?
Also last night at work I caught one of the long time Harley riders sitting on the V on his break. I tossed him the keys and off he went. I think we have a convert coming.
Ride well, Ride often.

·
Registered
114 Posts
As another forum member pointed out when I sarcastically speculated that the Versys came with no center stand so that it could be sold to us as an aftermarket item, the low slung exhaust system of the Verys makes a centerstand very difficult. That's not to say that one couldn't be cobbled together, but it's certainly not the same situation as with (for example) a pre-08 KLR650 dualsport.

I live on "deer infested backroads," too. And, like you, I'm going to fiddle around with the lights. However, that still doesn't help when the deer decide to play "Truth or Dare" and end up plunging unexpectedly out of the trees and across the roads so quickly that all you can do is grab a handful of brake, steer off toward a glancing blow and/or soft landing, and scream, "Oh, SH*T!!!" I find that the latter action is the most effective, since I most often DO what I'm screaming . . . and it's a well documented fact that deer are repulsed by the smell of human feces. :)

Good luck keeping it upright and out of the antlers!

Kevin McClearey

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yes the Deer! In 2004 I killed a 8 point buck with my Honda Hawk. Didn't even have time to scream. Lost the headlight and I had to get dry pants. I found a set of Piaa driving lights in the Dennis Kirk catalog that look like they should work on the V. When I get them I will post results.
Hey Elvis do you play with Guns also? I have a couple 10/22s that have been hotrodded and just picked up a CZ. Have already got 2 whistlepigs this week.
Ride well,
PAul

·
Registered
204 Posts
Why do you want to nickel and dime a new bike. Get the filter that is recommended OEM. Is the two dollars you save worth it?

BTW barefoot I love my 10/22 have my Olympic Running Target all decked out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Let's see if any other folks respond to the "firearms" part of your posting, Barefoot, and maybe we can start a separate thread in the "Off Topic Discussions" section!

I'm a Life Member of the NRA. I really enjoy shooting a revolver, pistol and rifle - and I've got a big ol' gun safe bolted into the concrete slab in our basement. However, there's no decent range with easy driving distance for me, so about five years ago I turned to hunting and target shooting with adult air rifles. My two "hot rods" are a custom tuned seven-shot, gas piston Theoben SLR98 air rifle, in .22 caliber, that will take out squirrels at 50 yards all day long with headshot after headshot . . . and a beautifully maintained Olympic-class Feinwerkbrau 10-meter .177 caliber single shot air rifle from the mid-1970s that will bury pellet after pellet in the same hole, as long as I'm up to the task. I've got an indoor 10-meter range with three target stations, chronograph, etc., where I spend my time when it's too nasty outside to ride, hunt, canoe or fish.

The Second Amendment: America's Original "Homeland Security" Plan! :D

Kevin

·
Registered
204 Posts
Let's see if any other folks respond to the "firearms" part of your posting, Barefoot, and maybe we can start a separate thread in the "Off Topic Discussions" section!

I'm a Life Member of the NRA. I really enjoy shooting a revolver, pistol and rifle - and I've got a big ol' gun safe bolted into the concrete slab in our basement. However, there's no decent range with easy driving distance for me, so about five years ago I turned to hunting and target shooting with adult air rifles. My two "hot rods" are a custom tuned seven-shot, gas piston Theoben SLR98 air rifle, in .22 caliber, that will take out squirrels at 50 yards all day long with headshot after headshot . . . and a beautifully maintained Olympic-class Feinwerkbrau 10-meter .177 caliber single shot air rifle from the mid-1970s that will bury pellet after pellet in the same hole, as long as I'm up to the task. I've got an indoor 10-meter range with three target stations, chronograph, etc., where I spend my time when it's too nasty outside to ride, hunt, canoe or fish.

The Second Amendment: America's Original "Homeland Security" Plan! :D

Kevin
More Toys

You should check out chicagolandsportbikes dot com people from all over the state and we have a sweet little weapons and hunters corner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow what a sight, I too have some nice air rifles some precharged and some gas and some spring guns, gotta love those air guns!!

Now if only I could haul a few on the Versys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts