Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a leftover '13 Versys last Friday. I have had my eye on this model since they first came out. It's a bike that seems to fit me and my riding style perfectly! :thumb: One question though, I have been riding for 30+ years but have not had many brand new bikes. What do you guys suggest on breaking the engine in? The guy at the dealer said "take it easy for the first hundred miles, after that let her rip". The owners manual says to not exceed 4000 rpm for the first 500 miles. :nono: On my last new bike a DR 650 Suzuki which had no tachometer, the manual stated to not exceed half throttle for the first 500 or so miles, I think. So, I'm a little stumped. What do you do?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
There are tons of opinions regarding break-in. What seems to be generally accepted and sensible is to vary engine rpm with some regularity for the first few hundred miles. That is, don't maintain a constant rpm for long periods of time.

If you believe the manufacturer, Kawasaki, knows what it is doing then follow their break-in recommendations. Metalurgery has advanced light years since the time some of us "more mature" riders tried to break-in new bikes from yesteryear, so if you elect to "ride it like you stole it" you probably won't fatally damage it. But if you treat it nicely it will probably last longer. My two cents.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
There are tons of opinions regarding break-in. What seems to be generally accepted and sensible is to vary engine rpm with some regularity for the first few hundred miles. That is, don't maintain a constant rpm for long periods of time.

If you believe the manufacturer, Kawasaki, knows what it is doing then follow their break-in recommendations. Metalurgery has advanced light years since the time some of us "more mature" riders tried to break-in new bikes from yesteryear, so if you elect to "ride it like you stole it" you probably won't fatally damage it. But if you treat it nicely it will probably last longer. My two cents.
+1 Also, the rings will seat better in the long run if you use engine braking when slowing down, periodically. It pulls a vacuum, and helps the rings seat on the opposite face.

·
Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
I belong to the "ride it like you stole it" to break it in. Both my Vs were broken in on the ride home from the dealer, and the oil/ filter changed. One has 51,xxx miles, the other 43,500 kms, and neither uses oil. Here's a link to that break-in method:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts