Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be moving here for six months in every year soon, the rest of the time I am in Portugal. I have a Buell Ulysses in Portugal but may well be getting a Versys 650 for my time in Chiang Mai. Kawasaki build stuff here so it makes sense to get one of their bikes thus avoiding import duty. Was considering a KLR650 but I think the Versys is probably a better bike. Is it a better bet than the ER6 to travel big distances on?

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
The versys in my opinion is a better bike than er 6 for distances and it will be cheap to buy a versys in Thailand I guess to.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I did 5600 miles on a 19 day trip a year back... all pavement. In my humble opinion it's great for long distances.

·
Banned
895 Posts
I had a KLR & it s a great bike for short blacktop travelling (although some people do travel 100's miles a day on them!) but excels at the gravel/dirt/light rock offroading, but is not a serious offroader.

The Versys is good on blacktop & can handle some gravel, but is not an offroader in any way!

You need to consider the type of riding that you'll be doing around Chiang Mai, because the KLR could be the better option.

PS...:welcome:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, the Versys certainly isn't cheap in Thailand at 313,000 baht (about USD$ 10,500). Although made in Thailand the greedy Thai government still taxes them heavily. The Versys sells for $8000 in the US :(.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Well, the Versys certainly isn't cheap in Thailand at 313,000 baht (about USD$ 10,500). Although made in Thailand the greedy Thai government still taxes them heavily. The Versys sells for $8000 in the US :(.
There's gotta be a market there to import "slightly" second hand 'bikes!?!?!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
In September 1969 I bought Thailand's first ever Kawasaki H-1 500cc triple while stationed at Udon Thani. It cost me $1000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, there's been a 2nd hand market in Thailand for many years... these imports are also heavily taxed. To cut down on these costs the bikes are brought in as parts and reassembled locally...not good. I've owned a number of imports over the last 28 years I've lived in Thailand. This import market is drying up as more larger cc motorcycles are manufactured in Thailand. Kawasaki has been leading the way! Honda (of course) has also jumped on the bandwagon making the CB500 in Thailand as of 2013. A few Ducati's are also made here, though out of my price range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ragpicker. That price is good. In USA bikes are cheap compared to everywhere else. I aim to do the whole of Thailand and a fair chunk of Laos and Cambodia. Been there?

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
:welcome:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts