19,145 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello all. My wife is now the proud owner of a 2008 Versys 650. Bike only has 2k miles on it. I’m getting ready to install T-Rex guards and Motowerks lowering link. Any advice is appreciated.
Welcome from another Texan. Tell your wife to join as well. I'd love not to be the only other woman on here. :grin2:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Welcome from Friendswood TX
I essentially have the same bike. And in the past year have done a lot of set up and farkeling.
Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Randy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/welcomesign.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Welcome Sign" >:)</a> aboard!

IF those are the ORIGINAL tires - install NEW ones before she crashes!
The tires are dated 2007, but they have plenty of tread. Should be fine😁. Joking. I’m trying to decide between Shinzo ravens or podiums. Any advice on budget tire choices?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The tires are dated 2007, but they have plenty of tread. Should be fine😁. Joking. I’m trying to decide between Shinzo ravens or podiums. Any advice on budget tire choices?
My only advice on budget tires is "don't save on tires" :) But I know what you mean. What kind of riding will you be doing? I've just ordered a set of Avon Trail Riders for my 2008 Versys, after reading and watching tons of reviews, but if you're going off the black stuff more often than me, you might want to look for something with better offroad credentials.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
I run SHINKO E705s on my V650s, so I can 'continue' when the pavement ends, and they work PDG for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome from DFW!

I've done quite a bit of modifying to my '09, what parts in specific are you looking to swap or upgrade? So far I think I've covered most of the bike except for the rear suspension and engine internals.

Shinko 705's
Racetech 1.0kg front springs
Rox 2" Bar risers
Mika Pro 1 1/8" bars
Progrip 714 grips
Sato Racing bar ends + weights
G2 Throttle Tamer
44t Rear sprocket (-2)
15t solid front sprocket
Seatconcepts seat (foam and grippy cover)
Cyclops ADV LED headlights

And some other odds and ends. Crash bars and skid plate are going on tonight/this weekend.

If I could only change 3 things on the bike though - 44/43T rear, G2 tamer, and the Cyclops LED lights. And I'd just rip the windshield straight off.

Mine had Shinko 009's when I got it from the dealership, and they lasted me quite well. The front went for 10k before it started getting near the wear bars, and honestly I probably could have gone for another oil change or two before replacing them.

Pirelli Sprint ST went on the rear after a short series of flats, and I absolutely loved that, even better than the Diablo Supercorsa that was on there for a short while. :grin2:I just put on some Shinko 705's recently, and I'm actually quite liking them. If you're going to be off pavement at all, I'd recommend them. If you're going to be staying on the pavement, the 009's were alright for budget but the Sprint ST's can be found for <$100/ea right now, so I don't see a reason not to go with those, they are definitely better. Though I will say, their profile takes a little adjusting, as they really like to fall into the corners. They're a bit aggressive, but for a torquey bike with my dumb wrist, getting near 10k out of the rear and only just reaching the wear bar made me pretty happy.

If you're ever over towards DFW, hit me up! You're welcome to check it out, and I've got a small collection of windshields you can try out to see what does and doesn't work. I've got a Cee Baily 18", stock, V-Stream, MRA vario addon for the V-stream, and a Madstad bracket.

And I'm still not sure I've found a setup that works better than just ripping everything off and running it without even the OEM brackets. :censored: I don't know who designed the windshield aerodynamics of this bike for 6' tall people, but I don't like them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts