Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is Bill and I’m from a little burb outside of Tampa called Temple Terrace. I’ve been riding motorcycles for north of 40 years and currently alternate between my Super Tenere, FZ6 and KL250. I’m interested in the Versys as a replacement for the FZ6, so I thought I’d register and look around, do some searching and maybe ask some questions. See you around the board. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got around to picking out my Versys. This is a new 2012 model that I had my dealer in Brandon, Florida source for me in the Yellow/Ebony colors. I started looking around back in April, but it took a little time to work out a deal due to a heavy summer riding schedule that included a 12,000 mile, 36 day road trip on my Yamaha Super Tenere that wrapped up a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to some quality time with the V this weekend.

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts
:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Welcome from a one-time resident of Brandon back in the mid 80s.

Was assigned to US Special Operations Comand at MacDill for a few years back then. Strange, but fascinating organization it was too. That's all I can say without being carted off in the night by nen in black suits with no sense of humor. :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome Bill! I live in Wesley Chapel, and Kenny at Barney's gave me a call and said you just pulled the trigger on a Versys. I have a 2010 and have really love the bike. There are a lot of different directions others have gone with how the bike is set up. I have mine set up more adventure style with Caribou bags and lots of other goodies, but I really don't do much off road with it. I added a slightly taller tire and the bike is just liquid in the corners out in Brooksville. I did take it on a few trips and she handled great.
PM me if you want to hook up sometime. Not many Versys riders around here for sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Thumper. How was the Washington trip?

I just picked up the Versys on Friday and had a great weekend getting used to it. I did the Green Swamp Loop and rolled around on some of the back County Roads around Webster. I do like this motorcycle! I don’t plan to go the adventure route with the Versys; need some luggage, electronics and other gadgetry though. We’ll definitely hook up soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome Bill from another newbie and new 2012 owner. I live north of you in New Port Richey and ride with a bunch of guys from Clearwater and Palm Harbor regularly. We were down at Quaker State for bike night this past Wednesday. Always looking for others who like to ride, most of us are vintage owners also and do a lot of wrenching. PM me if you want to hook up for a ride sometime. Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey I am new too!, but welcome. I have the same bike and love it. I added Givi matching color hard bags. They are great now that I have got used to them. I thought they looked a little goofy at first, but now I am digg'in them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome Bill from another newbie and new 2012 owner. I live north of you in New Port Richey and ride with a bunch of guys from Clearwater and Palm Harbor regularly. We were down at Quaker State for bike night this past Wednesday. Always looking for others who like to ride, most of us are vintage owners also and do a lot of wrenching. PM me if you want to hook up for a ride sometime. Jim
Hey Jim! I see you picked out the Solar Yellow and Ebony model too. It's a great looking bike.

What sort of vintage stuff do you have or work with? That's actually my hobby, long time AHRMA member. Except I stick to vintage motocross and enduros...mostly pre-75 asians, although my current project is a 74 Harley/Aermacchi Baja 100. Below is a photo of one of my completed projects. It's a 1972 Yamaha DT2MX-250.

Do you guys go to the Barber Vintage Fest? That's coming up in a couple months. I never miss it! Seems to get better every year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey I am new too!, but welcome. I have the same bike and love it. I added Givi matching color hard bags. They are great now that I have got used to them. I thought they looked a little goofy at first, but now I am digg'in them.
Hey WaspRider! You have some nice country way up and over there to ride in. I was all over BC last month on a Yamaha Super Tenere (which I just sold) and had an awesome time. I hope to get back there some day real soon.

I also have a Yamaha FZ6 with a set of Givi V35 cases; great cases. Can't use them on the V because my 17yo son is taking over the Fazer and he needs them for when we go on trips. Plus they're a little beat up appearance-wise to put on my pristine new motorcycle. I think all cases look a little strange when you first put them on a bike. Then the convenience and utility of having sides sets in...and you can't live without them. Givi's are definitely in the running for some new luggage. One other thing, Admore makes a nice light kit for a little more visibility from the rear for many Givi side cases. I installed a kit on the V35s (Blog Entry).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts