Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I put my deposit down and have ordered a new 2023 Versys1000 SE LT+ model. Should be here by Christmas. Hopefully.
Reading up on it i believe I read it's charging system only puts out 8 amps?? Considering all the electronic stuff on it, this seems super low. My KLR put out twice that. Did I read it wrong?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I was reading a pdf manual on Kawasaki owners page. Probably read it wrong unless it was a misprint. I do know the manual cautions against using the handwarmers at idle lest you kill the battery. To me,since the lighting is all LED, the stator should be able to handle that or they shouldn't have included the option for them.
I am sure they will be nice during breakin this spring.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
24A sounds right if I remember correctly on my 15 650. Maybe 8A the constant current draw of the bike. 2023 Versys is all LED lighting I think, that's good for cutting the Amps draw down. I've got powerful aftermarket LED headlamps(too much really for the inefficient reflector design) and they draw over close to 3A each. A single 18watt aux light draws 1.5A.(the calculation is 18Wx12V=1.5A) Heated gear draws a lot on the high setting. I wonder if the new Versys has a SERIES regulator compared to the SHUNT on the older models? Many of us changed to a SERIES Polaris-type regulator from Onewizards prodding. Good mod for making life easier for the stator. I put a Sparkbrite voltage monitor on as well, simple mod that works great. And on the 650 some of us bumped the idle up to 1450-1500 RPM to keep the charging system in the GREEN when at a stoplight..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
24A sounds right if I remember correctly on my 15 650. Maybe 8A the constant current draw of the bike. 2023 Versys is all LED lighting I think, that's good for cutting the Amps draw down. I've got powerful aftermarket LED headlamps(too much really for the inefficient reflector design) and they draw over close to 3A each. A single 18watt aux light draws 1.5A.(the calculation is 18Wx12V=1.5A) Heated gear draws a lot on the high setting. I wonder if the new Versys has a SERIES regulator compared to the SHUNT on the older models? Many of us changed to a SERIES Polaris-type regulator from Onewizards prodding. Good mod for making life easier for the stator. I put a Sparkbrite voltage monitor on as well, simple mod that works great. And on the 650 some of us bumped the idle up to 1450-1500 RPM to keep the charging system in the GREEN when at a stoplight..
Yes, I read it wrong. I read 8AH battery and mistook it for charging. Still, an 8ah battery is 4ah less than my KLR650 which has a 12 ah battery. I wonder why battery capacity is so low in an electronic laden machine.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
8ah battery
After your bike starts you shouldn't be running off the battery at all preferably unlike an E vehicle. The AHs (capacity) rating on a IC engine battery is for representing how long you can cold crank it if it doesn't want to start. Nice to have lots of AH for that. Mine always starts right up unless the fuel pump has to re-prime for whatever reason...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts