Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just sealed the deal on an 08 Versys, which I should be picking up Thursday if possible, at least by the weekend.

I've had a few bikes in the past, all for pleasure riding, but the Versys is going to do about 90% commuting duty, a good bit of that on the highway. I'm going to attempt to ride at least 3 seasons, but we'll see. I hope to get the chance to enjoy it on some nice back roads too, but I've got VERY little one's at home and time is limited. I imagine I'll be leaving a little early for work as the weather improves more and more!

Previous bikes were:
Some Yamaha 650 UJM back in early 90s, it was about 10+ years old when I got it out of a neighbors back yard (LTD maybe?)
98 Kawi KLR 250 in the late 90s
99 Ducati Monster 750 new in 99
91 Honda VFR 750 which I got about 3 years ago and just sold this weekend for the $$ to put down on the Versys.

The VFR was really a great bike, nice smooth power and reliable as heck, but I just can't handle the riding position anymore, I need to be comfortable for that 100 mile per day commute.

I think a taller windshield and hand guards are in order for the V, along with heated grips to extend the season. But for now I just want to ride it and enjoy it as is for awhile and see what it needs. I did get a short test ride (about 4 miles) but the short highway stint I attempted was during rush hour so I only cruised at about 60. I hit about 80 on a back road blast, enough to determine the bike has more than enough power, something I slightly concerned with coming off the VFR. My other concern had been the seat height because I'm only 5'8 with a 30" inseam, but it really wasn't all that bad with boots on. The pegs are in the way a bit but I think I can manage that. It seems there are now seat methods and frame methods to lower the bike if needed, but on my short ride, it was so light and easy to handle that I'm not really thinking it'll be necessary, particularly for my intended uses.

I had assumed over the winter that I'd be picking up a used WeeStrom right about now, but once I saw the Versys, read all the rave reviews and took it for a ride, I knew it was the right bike for me. I never could get around the WeeStrom looks, and I don't need anything more than can do the occasional dirt road anyway.

So that's my story, I'm happy to find this forum, as that is one great thing about the Vstrom, the massive online presence and wealth of knowledge that it affords. I think we'll see that same presence for the Versys in the coming years from forums like this one. It'll be cool to be a part of it.

-Dave

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great to have you with us, Dave!

Like you, I had a VFR (an Anniversary Edition 800 VTEC) that I loved . . . but that turned out to be a bike (even with bar risers) that I couldn't ride for very long. I'm much better off on the Versys, with no weight on my wrists and a great big smile on my face! I think you're going to love commuting on it.

Keep us posted about the changes you make. It's always really fun to hear/see what other folks are doing to their Versys to make it their own!

Kevin McClearey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts