Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I'm just dropping a line to say hi! I'm not a Versys owner (yet) but I'm hoping to purchase a used one at the end of the season. I currently ride a 1990 Ninja EX 500 that I really enjoy. I would like to upgrade to a Versys mainly because of the riding position and because it would be a recent maching compared to my 1990 EX500 :)

With that being said, Is there a particular year that you would recommend buying (or avoiding)? After doing a bit of reading here, I came to conclusion that 2010 and above would be a good choice.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I went through the same upgrade path, 04 Ninja 500, and love the Versys. It fixed all the shortcomings of the 500 IMO. The Versys has a very linear power band, which is better for street riding, in comparison to the 500 and produces slightly more torque and HP. It also has all day comfortable ergonomics (huge improvement over the 500), feels slightly more refined, has more sophisticated and adjustable suspension and uses modern, radial tires that adhere and track better than the old narrow bias plys on the 500 do - it just makes it feel much more confident, planted and stable in the corners and at higher speeds.

On thing you will initially notice is a higher CG (center of gravity) compared to the 500 at stops, but this goes away after the first few hours of riding. Both bikes actually weigh a similar amount, but the Versys carries the weight higher up. Some Versys also have fairings that buzz when the engine RPM reaches their resonate frequency. Nothing to worry about though as this is correctable with some foam tape applied to the underside of the plastics, to isolate the panels from one another.

There is no perceptible difference between 2007 to 2013 models other than cosmetics. In 2010 they changed the fairing styling, made a very, very minor change to the seat shape and modified the rear engine mount supposedly to reduce vibration but I cannot feel a difference.

Suggest setting up an email alert on Kijiji using the word "Versys". It will notify you every time someone posts a new Versys. You may also want to do this for the Toronto and Montreal Kijiji sites - each local requires setting up it's own alert.

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
...With that being said, Is there a particular year that you would recommend buying (or avoiding)? After doing a bit of reading here, I came to conclusion that 2010 and above would be a good choice.

Thanks!
ANY year, though MY favorite colour was the metallic orange in '07....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome guys!

@twowheels, thank you for your input and suggestions! It's good to get feedback from someone who rode the same motorcycle as me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys!

@twowheels, thank you for your input and suggestions! It's good to get feedback from someone who rode the same motorcycle as me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Your welcome. Another option.... I bought my 08 Versys almost new (3000km) for $4200US off of Ebay from a car dealer in Maryland 2 years ago. It cost $600CDN (www.uship.com) to ship and $200CDN RIV fee plus the usual taxes. You can also rent UHaul motorcycle trailers for $25/day. PM me if you want links to how to import a bike.

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
Your welcome. Another option.... I bought my 08 Versys almost new (3000km) for $4200US off of Ebay from a car dealer in Maryland 2 years ago. It cost $600CDN (www.uship.com) to ship and $200CDN RIV fee plus the usual taxes. You can also rent UHaul motorcycle trailers for $25/day. PM me if you want links to how to import a bike.
And when I imported THE GREEN HORNET into Canada, I used a $179 Harbor Freight trailer I put together, modded a 'bit', then ended up paying the RIV fee on (co$t MORE than the trailer...!). IF I did it again, I would probably just leave the trailer at the Border and ride the bike from there, but at $200 (PLUS the RIV fee - it's STILL cheaper than the $600 shipping). Of course - RIDING home from wherever would be cheapest, and MOST fun!

:thumb: - :D

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@twowheels, Thanks you, that's a great idea! I will keep you in mind when I'm ready to purchase, I'll send you a PM to get more info.

Cheers!

·
Registered
379 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts