Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I’m from Montreal, Canada and have been riding motorcycles since 1963. Having been born in 1945, I’m sure that I’m not the youngest guy around. … but I guess that I could be one of the oldest teenagers in the group. :smile2:

I have learned how to ride in 1962 with an early 1940’s army Harley Davidson (hand shift, car tire type tires, etc.).
In 1963 I have managed to purchase my first bike.

Within a year, I got bored with the Harley and went out to purchase a BSA.

Sorry about the image quality. That’s all I have.

A few years went by and after multiple crashes (replaced a few frames on that BSA), I sold my bike and started working, raised a family, etc.

In 2002, I had been away from motorcycles for almost 40 years ... but still had it in my veins. I’d drool each time I’d see or try out a friend’s motorcycle. My family was raised, etc. I “thought” that I might now be a bit more reasonable than when I was 18. I went for it.

I have then purchased a 2000 Honda Valkyrie which was still my main ride until October 7th, 2015.

While riding in Stowe, VT, I crashed into a Town & Country minivan that turned left in front of me without any warning. I could not avoid the crash but was fortunate to instinctively turn in the same direction as the van. Thus I hit the van sideways and not head on.

I was wearing full riding gear and was very lucky to come out of it with bruises … but nothing broken. My Valkyrie, on the other hand, was very damaged. The insurance company wrote it off as a total lost.

For the past few years, I had been contemplating to get a lighter bike. At my age (almost 70), an 800 pound motorcycle was getting to be a challenge to move around in the garage, etc. I had gone to different demo rides in the spring and had tried different mid-weight bikes such as V-Stroms (650 & 1000), Yamaha FJ09, Super Tenere, both the Versys 1000 and 650. I liked them all for different reasons but my top pick was the Versys 650.

I intended on getting a used one in a few years but this October crash made it happen much sooner than expected.

This afternoon, I have purchased a new green 2015 Versys 650 ABS. It will be kept in storage at the dealer warehouse for the winter until I come over to get it in the spring.

I have been lurking on this forum for the past six months and am now getting out of “lurk mode”. :smile2:

Normand

aka quexpress on different forums

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome quexpress. Thanks for sharing some of your history with us. I enjoyed the nostalgia.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Welcome aboard from another 1945 citizen. Very nice introduction.

Know what you mean, being a 70 year old kid myself, about heavier bikes. Had a minor zero speed disagreement with gravity this past summer and had to come to terms with the fact that I couldn't get my 500+ pound BMW K75S back on its wheels - not that I ever was capable, lifting technique notwithstanding.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Hi!
I’m from Montreal, Canada and have been riding motorcycles since 1963. Having been born in 1945, I’m sure that I’m not the youngest guy around. … but I guess that I could be one of the oldest teenagers in the group. :smile2:

I have learned how to ride in 1962 with an early 1940’s army Harley Davidson (hand shift, car tire type tires, etc.).
In 1963 I have managed to purchase my first bike.

Within a year, I got bored with the Harley and went out to purchase a BSA.

Sorry about the image quality. That’s all I have.

A few years went by and after multiple crashes (replaced a few frames on that BSA), I sold my bike and started working, raised a family, etc.

In 2002, I had been away from motorcycles for almost 40 years ... but still had it in my veins. I’d drool each time I’d see or try out a friend’s motorcycle. My family was raised, etc. I “thought” that I might now be a bit more reasonable than when I was 18. I went for it.

I have then purchased a 2000 Honda Valkyrie which was still my main ride until October 7th, 2015.

While riding in Stowe, VT, I crashed into a Town & Country minivan that turned left in front of me without any warning. I could not avoid the crash but was fortunate to instinctively turn in the same direction as the van. Thus I hit the van sideways and not head on.

I was wearing full riding gear and was very lucky to come out of it with bruises … but nothing broken. My Valkyrie, on the other hand, was very damaged. The insurance company wrote it off as a total lost.

For the past few years, I had been contemplating to get a lighter bike. At my age (almost 70), an 800 pound motorcycle was getting to be a challenge to move around in the garage, etc. I had gone to different demo rides in the spring and had tried different mid-weight bikes such as V-Stroms (650 & 1000), Yamaha FJ09, Super Tenere, both the Versys 1000 and 650. I liked them all for different reasons but my top pick was the Versys 650.

I intended on getting a used one in a few years but this October crash made it happen much sooner than expected.

This afternoon, I have purchased a new green 2015 Versys 650 ABS. It will be kept in storage at the dealer warehouse for the winter until I come over to get it in the spring.

I have been lurking on this forum for the past six months and am now getting out of “lurk mode”. :smile2:

Normand

aka quexpress on different forums
Great intro. Welcome from nearby Ottawa. Bought my bike in Montreal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Congratulations on the new V! This summer I spent a couple weeks up there in Montreal for the first time for work, nice city good restaurants.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts