Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I've been lurking here for a month or so. So much great information and helpful people. I bought a new 2015 650 Versys about a month ago. Loving it so far but I'm a new rider so trying to get some practice under my belt. Getting more comfortable every week. I had a cruiser for about a month 3 years ago, put 100 miles on it and flipped it for a profit since a new baby was on the way. Glad to be back to riding.

Also, I don't know a single person who rides in my area (sad isn't it) so if you are in Columbus, OH give me a shout.

Brian

Attachments

Reactions: NightRider

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And a question to go with the intro...What the heck happened to my tire?! I saw this last night, did I ride over a razor blade or something? These only have 250 miles on them so I would hate to replace. Is this patchable or even rideable to the dealer? All I do is slow riding on good roads so maybe just a freak accident.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
Head to Dealer

And a question to go with the intro...What the heck happened to my tire?! I saw this last night, did I ride over a razor blade or something? These only have 250 miles on them so I would hate to replace. Is this patchable or even rideable to the dealer? All I do is slow riding on good roads so maybe just a freak accident.
As to the tire, your into the sidewall, I would head to the dealer immediately, as it is hard to tell looking at the photo, but that looks like a defect. That area isn't normally ridden on unless you are doing some really aggressive riding. The only other thing is if you drove over a metal survey stake on wet grass and the tire spun.

Had a second look, that cut is on the left side of the bike, I could just make out the rotor on the right. The cut is in the wrong direction for my suggestion, you would need to be engine braking/ braking on a protruding object, or like when they grind the asphalt and leave a sharp edge, etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks onewizard for the welcome and advice. The cut is on the right side of the front. There is a lot of road construction around but I wasn't corning in those parts so who knows. Guess I'll learn how to change a tire.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome! This is a great place to learn about the bike. I just had a similar incident on my 2016. Only 2500 miles and I hit something on the highway. I could actually see a metal cord in the gash! Changing the tire yourself is not that hard and you only need a few tools. Motion Pro tire irons and rim protectors. There is great video on you tube by MC Garage.
I use Dyna Beads to balance. Cheaper than buying a wheel balancer and saves space in my tiny garage! I've used them before on my Concours so I know they work. That was actually the hardest part! Getting them in the damn valve stem! Patience is a virtue.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fasteddiecopeman and thanks timster! That is just the video I need and thats CRAZY you had almost the same cut in the tire!

You guys are great. I love that I can work on this bike myself for a lot of things. Just stinks to buy a tire, paddock stand and tools after 250 miles but that's life.

Reactions: timster

·
Registered
57 Posts
If your like me and plan on keeping this bike for a long time, (because its so awesome!) the tools will pay for themselves after a couple of tire changes.

·
Premium Member
7,811 Posts
:welcome:aboard and trust all goes well with your tire problem. If you are not a aggressive rider i think the tire will hold for sometime , but then again at a point of time you may need to change it for safety reasons. Be safe and enjoy your ride -ATGATT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I am also from Columbus and I too have a green 2015! We should ride together sometime!
-Ron

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Fastoman and lainoi! That's great lainoi...as long as you don't mind a slow guy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts