Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Hello from Central Arkansas

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  smedv 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, been a long time lurker and enjoying all the V talk. Don't hold it against me but I don't have a V yet, don't even have a street ride.

Let me introduce myself a bit. Been riding all my life, (age 44), mainly dirt bikes. Current ride is a KTM 250XCFW. Have ridden street when I was younger with dual sport rides and ridden quite a bit on my brothers street bikes. One of my best and most surreal memories riding the street was riding down the highways of Hawaii with the sugar cane along the roads and the beautiful mountains all around. Riding along the north shore and to Waikiki was great also.

Been really gettin' the itch for the street but the only thing holding me back is the wife..... she's big time against the street bikes. She always been accepting of my dirt bikes since I've always had one but she doesn't like the idea of the street. (should have had one before getting married so she wouldn't be able to make an issue of it... dang it...)

Anyways, I'm heavily leaning towards a V at this point. The Z1000 looks good not sure if it handles light touring as good as the V. I know there are so many great roads within an hour from me thats its crazy not to get out an enjoy em. I read how many of you are travelling from surrouding states to come and enjoy the roads I have in my backyard. So any suggestions you guys have to convincing the wife? No, I won't just go and get one and then ask for forgiveness, its too big a purchase for that and don't want the grief. I also can't hide it.... it won't fit in a drawer or closet like say a new 9mm or .45 will. I think its going to take time.... and more work on my part. Its partly safety but I think $$ is also the concern. Gotta pay off her vehicle and have the cash.... maybe, just maybe then....

See less See more
#2 ·
Arkansas.

Hi from Mountain Home. Ar. I just found out about this bike last week and have not purchased one yet....maybe this week. With no wife I do not have the same conditions that you do.
The Versys looks like a great bike to have around here, I have a 2005 Yamaha venture (about 800 pounds) and I am looking for something to scoot around the back roads here.
Good luck with the wife and new bike ??

Cb

#3 ·
Here is 2 sugestions, hope it helps;

Take her to a test ride on a V and tell her all the BS about the bike,

Secondly keep taking her to moto show and talk big about the V and pray all night she falls for it.:goodidea:

anyway it took me about 6 months to get approved permit from mine to get the V....women...hope to see you soon with the V. will pray for you bro

:goodluck:
:cheers:

#5 ·
Wait, you say you've got a .45 ? Or try this, tell her about the trips you will be taking together and all the fun you will have together. Borrow a friends cruiser if possible and take her out for a SLOW ride in ideal conditions. If you haven't tested the V yet, be warned, you'll get this big grin then you'll buy it. A friend of mine bought a bike this way and his wife was a real b@#ch. A month after he got it home he put a solo seat on it. No matter, she got it in the divorce anyway. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Well, a divorce is what I'm trying to avoid... and don't think I'm quite ready to pull out the ole .45. I've bought some guns etc.. without talking to her about it, but those weren't near the $$ and easier to "aborb" into the house. Don't think I'd get away with the new bike. I'll just keep workin' on her till she comes around. Once I do, I'll definately want to hook up on some rides.

Alright... guess I'll go back to lurking a while longer.....

thanks for the advise....

#7 ·
I live in Conway. I am 53 in 2 weeks. I got back into bikes about 21/1 years ago after about 26 years without a bike. I had saved up the money for a DR 650 that I had an inside price from a dealer I knew. I had always had ( enduro ) bikes all my life and thought that was what I wanted. After about a year, I figured out that I liked to ride the back 2 lane hwys. I sold my Dr and save a little more while I was looking for a Versys. I wanted a bike that had an upright riding position, and the reviews for the bike where great. I found a used Versys from Little Rock Kawasaki for $5500. I like the bike alot. I started riding with a group of sport bike riders last Summer. I can run with them as good as my skill level goes, no problem with the bike keeping up. When I got back into riding I did ask, tell my wife. She understood, and I did gear up for street riding. I told a friend that I was having a mid-life crisis buying a motorcycle. He told me that a new motorcycle was better than getting a new wife. You might try that one. Anyway I hope you get your bike, if you do give me a holler and we can hook up for a ride. Have fun.

#8 ·
Well, looks like I'll be picking up my new V next Wednesday!!!! I was able to pick up the New 2008 that somebody had linked to in the For Sale section for what I think is a Great Price!!

Thanks for all the advice. Will be ready to hook up and do some ridin' soon.

#11 ·
Great for you, hope you make it to the Midway Meet in Eureka Springs April 24! I was all set to give you some sage advice, but then I read you have made the decision and must have the green light, so congrats. I just have to say that it is not easier to ask forgiveness, not from your wife! I am glad it didn't come to that, for you.

#12 ·
Wish I could make the Eureka Springs meet but I'll be in the woods doin' the dirt thing on the KTM that weekend.

Ref the wife.... well, I liquidated some stock funds that have been nothing but a drag for years and that cash was used to pay off the vehicle. A day or so after that, I guess it hit the wife and she came home with the question... "So, did you pay off the van so you could get a new bike?" My response was, "Of course, that was the deal!!" Well, that started the discussion and even though she still doesn't like the idea, she's willing to conceed its something I really want to do. I've been wanting to get on the street for years but knew we weren't in a good financial postion and never really voiced that to her. (I've always had dirt bikes so she's accepting of that) So to her, this seems sudden where as for me, its been years in the making. Guess I should have dropped that little bird in her ears many years ago.... thats my bad.

But it's all worked out in the end and I can't wait till next week!!!!

#18 ·
Wish I could make the Eureka Springs meet but I'll be in the woods doin' the dirt thing on the KTM that weekend.
But it's all worked out in the end and I can't wait till next week!!!!

When you get to riding the Versys, maybe you will change your mind. Keep the option open, because it might not come around soon. Maybe you could ride the woods Sunday. Hope so,
Randy

#13 · (Edited)
Howdy from texas. Glad you got your bike. I got my bike first then got permission. I'm in texas running a business and the little lady is in puerto rico running a business.I got my bike in january she would never agree to me getting one at the time. But we were getting together in march at the home we have in california and so i started laying down the seed to get the bike .At first mentioned the bike no way was the response then when we would talk i would bring up all the mileage i was putting on my truck and the fuel cost hint hint hint hint and she was getting more and more understanding. Then i started telling her that the money i saved in gas alone would pay for the bike and insurance. Well while i was in california she told me it was a great idea to go ahead and get the bike. So fellows plan ahead show all the positive's of the bike and let her think she's in charge

#16 ·
That is principle thats works but i am sure in reality they let us think we in charge guys. Reminds me of a story, man prays to God, "God could you please build me a bridge from NZ to Australia so i can ride by bike and visit my freinds", God replys, "son there are a lot more important thins in this world to pray about so please take the time to reflect and get back to me". Man gets back to God, "God can you please explain to me the mind of a women" God replys "How many lanes would you like on your bridge"

:joke:

#20 ·
Picked up new bike last wed... Fantastic Bike. Wasn't able to put in a ride till today. Took 100 mile or so ride on her and can definately tell I made the right choice for me.

Thanks to all of you for your advice/encouragement. Got a 44 and will get that put on asap. Have the dreaded "rattle" from the start so I'll get to work on that.

Lookin' forward to many, many safe miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.