Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just finished my BRC and am trying to decide between the Versys, Ninja 650R, or the KLR 650 for my first bike.

Is the Versys a good first bike for a novice like me? Or is it too much too quickly? I'm a very conservative rider, not interested in stunting or anything like that. In all honesty, I'm just looking for a cheap way to commute and travel and have more fun while doing it, but I don't want to get myself into trouble. (My cousin got a Bandit 1250 for his first bike and it ended badly, don't want to make the same mistake)

Some side notes: I'm 6'3" 210lbs so I like the height of the Versys.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Jeff

·
Registered
45 Posts
Terrierpike,

I've only been riding a couple of years myself but I think the Versys may be the perfect bike to ride.

I tried the KLR650 and think it was too bulky. It felt like it might handle off road somewhat better, but for road and gravel the V is shaping up to be a great bike.

I had big heavy cruisers and the light weight of the V makes it easy & fun to ride.

So far I don't think I will feel like I need to trade up for a bigger bike , like I did on the VZ800 and V92 to the Kingpin.

If I had the Versys available back then I could have saved a lot of money.

Anyway, research & trying is a lot of fun. Enjoy the process.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Yep, I agree, good bike for you. Its powerful enough to be fun on, but its also fun at slower speeds, so you don't feel like you have to be all out all the time. Plus, your logic is good about getting a bike that fits you.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You're doing the exact same thing I just did a few weeks ago for all the exact same reasons. Took the BRC, wanted to save gas from my hungry Chevy Silverado, commute back and forth to work, have a little fun... within a few days after the class I bought the Versys. Been happy ever since, and continue to get farther and farther away from home while I learn my riding skills.

Get the bike!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts