Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! hope you are all well and healthy in this crazy time. I have just agreed to purchase a 2009 Versys next week, and after several dozen youtube rabbit holes, am very excited to pick her up and see how she rides. I started as a 16 year old on a £35 Fantic Caballero back in the 80's. Moved up to a Honda CB125s the next year, and then waited another 27 years to get back into bikes. Rode around London on a Honda cg125 for a few years, then took my test and bought a Honda cbf250. Was soon bored, and got a Honda Dullville which I wrote off on my 4th day on it, squeezed the front brake too hard on a manhole cover in the rain, and smooshed into the back of a car. Wounds licked, im back and can't wait to meet my new green love. So thats me. I look forward to visiting here and learning as much as I can. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome, sir! My 08 Versys 650 is still my first bike (I'm 43) and I can't believe how it just does everything. It's my commuter when the weather isn't terrible, it's going on longer and longer tours, and I've been to racetracks for various courses and trackdays on it. Congrats on your new bike - don't be afraid to push it :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there anything I should look out for when I pick it up to make me reconsider? thanks

·
Administrator
8,836 Posts
Is there anything I should look out for when I pick it up to make me reconsider? thanks
lots of questions, related to KM. Brake fluid last changed, valve shim was it done and any records. the age of the tires. also look for damage on the stator cover and ask if the stator was ever replaced, lots more but those are the expensive ones.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What is the milage? Was it kept inside?Wizard hit on a few. I bought a 08 last year and spent the Winter legging her up for a trip this summer. Mine had 16000 miles on it and I did a lot of improvements as well as a lot of necessary Items as well.TIRES AND VALVE STEMS( those old valve stems if rubber have aged and will at some point fail.) Replace with metal 85 degree stems. TIRES If over 4 years old you will be smart to put new ones on regardless of condition (There is a born date on all tires).CHAIN and SPROCKETS.If they are not new better figure on changing them. Mine looked great until I pulled the counter sprocket it was worn so I replaced everything.STATOR( If after testing you find it faulty) and Polaris regulator ( A MUST).If it has not been done.In my mind this is a necessity( unless you like being on the side of the road).VALVES adjusted? When? And sync the throttle bodies.check all rubber parts for weather damage or dry rot.Then you get into the small items such as Brake Pads,Brake Fluid, Oil change and Air filter.The front forks could almost certainly need a fluid change and new fork seals.Sorry caps lock is acting up.I did all this and then some as I wanted peace of mind on my trip.Then you can start adding the stuff that you want to upgrade.I know this sounds like a lot to do but remember your buying a 11 year old bike.I did not know the PO of my bike so I assumed the service was less then stellar. Welcome, Good Luck and have fun with the new toy.

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
another "must do"...

I suggest you also plan on adding a "foot" to the side stand so your bike doesn't take a 'nap' on you...! Bought this from Ebay (less than $10), then added a LARGE dollop of JBWeld so it wouldn't fall off.

JB Weld foot by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks chaps, mileage is 22000, new tyres, sprocket and chain and full service allegedly, going to get her tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts