Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am the proud owner of a new '11 Versys. I really love the bike and have found this forum to be very helpful so I decided to join. I'll post pictures of the bike soon.

I wish I could have joined this forum on a happier note but that just isn't in the cards. This is my first bike and I'm a very new rider. I had to lay my bike down at 0 mph. I made the really foolish mistake of pulling over parallel into a driveway with a steep slant. I went to put my foot down and the bike leaned more than I expected. I tried to lean the bike back up but the weight was more than I could handle in that position so I dismounted and laid the bike down as gently as possible.

After catching my breath I lifted the bike back up and inspected the damage. On the bright side, cosmetically, the damage was as minimal as I could have hoped for with only very small scratches. Unfortunately, the gear shift lever did not fare as well. The lever was completely bent in but I was able to pull it out without too much effort. I carefully inspected the bike then I got back on and tested the shifting. Everything seemed OK so I rode the bike back home where I took a second look and realized that the gear shift linkage had also been deformed.

Next day I took it to the shop and they said they had to charge me $16 for the part and $30 for the labor plus taxes. Online the part only costs $10. I'm pretty handy but I've never worked on a bike. Is this something I can fix myself and save some money? What tools would I need to complete this kind of work?

Also, though I don't like to think or even say it, there's a chance that I may have to lay this bike down again. I ordered the crash bars from SW-MOTECH last weekend (still haven't arrived). With those installed would this kind of damage happen again? If not is there any kind of protection I can install to protech the gear shift assembly if the bike goes down?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The threaded rod is reverse thread at one end... You only need a pair of pliers and a 10mm wrench to replace it.

·
Premium Member
7,912 Posts
I have drop my bike on parking during a tour but no damage to the shift lever. I have HB bar on the bike and did the bars protect the bike-not sure.

A lot of us here have drop the bike and some like you on the first day. Its a learning curve. Search the forum and you will find a lot of info on simple repair work and all the tools too.

:cheers:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hand gaurds and sliders have saved me a few times. The real important stuff is jacket gloves and boots. The bikes easy to fix.
cheers
jet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts