Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I want to install heated grips on my V but currently have barkbuster handguards. Is it possible to have both installed? Has anyone done this mod? Or do I have to remove the handguards to accomodate the heated grips?

Lastly, any suggestions on the heated grips?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,108 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
not barkbusters but i have heated grips and handguards no problem

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have Oxford heated grips & Bark Busters on my '09 Versys.
They have been good products for me.
Just got the Oxford ''Touring'' version in today. Is 120 mm.

To much space left on the sides! Will exchange them for the ''Adventure'' version. Which is 132 mm.

Which version of the Oxford do you have?

I can't understand this guy installed the Touring version, you WILL have to much space left on the sides...:nono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhMBqQVToI&list=FLwYy94yo1o7XXeIKE5j5ojA&index=1

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got the Oxford ''Touring'' version in today. Is 120 mm.

To much space left on the sides! Will exchange them for the ''Adventure'' version. Which is 132 mm.

Which version of the Oxford do you have?

I can't understand this guy installed the Touring version, you WILL have to much space left on the sides...:nono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhMBqQVToI&list=FLwYy94yo1o7XXeIKE5j5ojA&index=1

Yesterday, I installed my recently purchased Oxford Heaterz Prem Touring version. I followed the link above which was very helpful! Thanks, btw.

One thing that was different in my case was that I have barkbusters handguards which was no big deal, just another step in the process. One thing that gave me a scare was the throttle side.

I got the orig grips out, cleaned the left handlebar with 100 course sandpaper. I then dry fitted the oxford left grip-- no problem, snug fit. The throttle grip was different as it had the plastic tube inside the original grip. I sanded it clean as well. Dry fitting the heated grip was tricky as it went 3/4 of the way then no more. There were excess rubber inside the grip so I snipped them out. I sanded the plastic tube more and tried again. In doing so, not realizing that I applied a bit too much twisting and pushing, the throttle would not spring back to position when released.

I had to open the black box and discovered that the throttle cable got out of the track which is why the grip was still "catching" when released. So, I put it back in track, closed the box and sanded some more, careful not to over sand... and finally, the grip slid in with a moderate amount of pushing.

I had to pracitice a couple of times getting the grips fully in before I used the glue. I found that having the the wiring connections face downward ideal without kinking or stretching it .Note that the glue was FAST, VERY FAST to dry, so you only have LITERALLY a couple of seconds to get it in there correctly.

Connections to the battery was probably the easiest part of the install. I started the bike, waited a minute and turned the grips on at the highest level. They got very warm quickly!

I rode the bike to work this morning which as about 32F (much colder on the highway!) and the Oxfords did the job. I had them at 75 pct most of the time, very warm indeed.

I should have done this when I first got my V.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts