Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed a set of Kawasaki OEM heated grips on my 2011 Versys. They are not working as expected. They provide barely adequate heat in the highest setting. My previous experience with heated grips is that they get uncomfortably warm in the highest setting. I verified that I followed the installation procedures to the letter. Has anyone had experience with the OEM heated grips? Is there a way I can test / verify that they are working properly?

Onewizard January 2018
FYI this thread was started primarily because of the fact that the OEM heated grips fail miserably on the throttle side, there are numerous threads on this. I have copied a few of those threads, in doing so I have included some of the posts by others that use a much better alternative at less than half the price. Just recently another member of this forum fell victim , I have no idea why the decision to mount a product that many have posted that it didn't work well went ahead even though it was recommended not to.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Just back from a ride. Temps were hovering around 50 degrees with gusty winds. I was riding in the hollows along streams so it was probably colder. I was wearing Tourmaster Polar Tex gloves. I waited until my fingers started to get cold and turned on the heated grips. I was cruising around 50 mph and gripped the heated grips pretty firmly to compress the insulation in the gloves. It took about 10 minutes for my fingers to get warm and in another 10 minutes I had to turn the heat down or remove my hands from the grips to let the wind cool them down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I turn on the grips all three leds are lit. When I punch the switch button once the top light dims. When I punch the button again the top light goes out completely. The same happens with the middle and bottom LEDs as I continue to punch the button. I presume this translates into 5 heat settings...the OEM instructions do not comment on this.

I contacted the dealer to find out what the max wattage is when on the high setting. The dealer contacted Kawasaki and said they told him that the max total (for both grips) is 18 watts. This seems low to me as other aftermarket grips are typically 28-30 watts per grip. If the info provided by the dealer is accuarate, only 9 watts per grip might explain why the grips don't get as hot as other grips I've experienced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hope I'm not too late in replying to this thread... Some forums want you to use the search feature while others want you to start a new thread all the time. If a new thread is needed, let me know.

I have a new 2015 LT model. I was looking into heated grips and had some questions for those who have used them. The OEM headed grips seem to be plug-and-pray - which is great - but they are also a little spendy ($225 + $20 for the relay). I'm also considering Oxford Heaterz due to their (generally good) reviews and their price ($90).

However, the OEM product seems to only have the heating element on the front half of the grip which seems odds to me. Is this normal for heated grips? Again, the OEM product is wired into the harness via a relay & a plug-in behind the headlight and is smart enough to not kill your battery but, the Heaterz seem to have some sort of anti-drain feature too but I've heard they can still drain the battery down enough to make it useless. Has anyone tried the latest versions (if they even have a newer version) of the OEM grips? How do they perform? Same with the Heaterz....anyone used their latest versions?

·
Registered
314 Posts
My dealer installed the Oxford grips through a relay, so draining the battery is not an issue (they switch off when the ignition is off). They cost way less than the Kawasaki-branded ones and they work great. I've had the same model in my two previous bikes, no issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer installed the Oxford grips through a relay, so draining the battery is not an issue (they switch off when the ignition is off). They cost way less than the Kawasaki-branded ones and they work great. I've had the same model in my two previous bikes, no issues.
Are they warm all the way around or just in the front half of the grip like the OEM models?

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
...Can the OEM relay be used for aftermarket grips and other things not made by Kawasaki?
The Kawi one for the '15s, once installed (and ONLY ONE is required!), opens up FOUR areas w/ wires that are HOT when ignition is ON.

...AFAIK there's nothing special about the one Kawasaki sells (apart from the inflated price)....
There is ONE thing special about the Kawi one (AGAIN - on the '15s...). It is a "plug-and-play", and I paid $16.99 CDN for mine. SO FAR, I've used it to power my heated jacket liner, and it WILL power a 12v lead on the dash, as well as....

It's nice NOT adding more 'ring' connected wires to the battery!

:clap:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Question regarding OEM heated grips

I just received my OEM heated grips in the post today. The instructions for installation are horrible. I've managed to install the OEM relay first ($19.95 here in Arkansas) and that part is done. Back to the installation instructions. They were vastly underexposed so the photos might as well not be included.

So, I've located the +/- leads and I know where to plug the new grips in. My question is this: What will be the presumed power consumption when the grips are on high?

Other circuits will be required for my bike. I will be running wiring from the battery to the cowling where I will be installing a Centec Fuse Block. Since I need a switched circuit to turn off the additional circuits. I was considering using the + positive lead from the newly powered power taps to power on/off a separate relay and in turn the Centec Fuse Block.

Since this is my first go with a Kawasaki is this scenario feasible or?
Using switched accessory power leads to trigger relay from battery to fuse block is fine. Accessory power runs off 5 amp fuse.
Honestly, I have heard nothing but bad reviews on the oem heated grips. The heating elements are only on a small portion of the grips, and one side gets much hotter than the other. I think you should try to return them if possible. Everyone who has tried them, hates them. There are much better alternatives.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Honestly, I have heard nothing but bad reviews on the oem heated grips. The heating elements are only on a small portion of the grips, and one side gets much hotter than the other. I think you should try to return them if possible. Everyone who has tried them, hates them. There are much better alternatives.
The OEM grips went back to the dealer today and I ordered Oxford grips to replace them. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Heated Grips/ Kawasaki / OEM Poor Performance

I have read a few times where people(moto-journalists) have recommended against factory heated grips, saying after market products are better. My personal experience with Oxford heated grips has been less than satisfactory, because the left grip does not warm as well as the right due to the handlebar becoming a heat sink. My old Beemer did very well with oem grips, so I'm inclined to think oem is better.
Have any of you tried factory heated grips on the Versys? I would appreciate any comments.

·
Premium Member
9,767 Posts
Oxford Heated Grips

There are previous threads on people that had OEM and said the same thing, uneven heating and twice the price.
My comment is for Oxford heated grips recommended by my dealer, at 75% I can only have them on for 3 minutes at 5'C and I need to reduce to 50% or 40%, left and right are almost identical, (through gloves). I hope that helps.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-heated-grips.html?highlight=oem+heated+grips

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...l-hookup.html?highlight=kawasaki+heated+grips

check page two

·
Premium Member
16,308 Posts
I had a set of the AME heated grips on the Versys 650 then put a set on the FJR. I took the set off the FJR to use on the V-1000 when needed. Its a really comfortable grip and they heat up nicely I bought mine on amazon...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBx9L5nXgSE

·
Premium Member
16,308 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a set of oxford heated grips I installed a couple of months ago. Both grips heat very evenly and it puts out enough heat to roast your hands at 100%. I never have gone above 75%. They are very high quality and relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Buy the Oxfords...

Even though people on this site recommended against the OEM heated grips I got them. I expected a "factory look", like the heated grips on a BMW, something that doesn't scream "generic aftermarket add on!". I didn't mind that they weren't very warm as long as they integrated nicely on the bike...

That is until I got them and read the instructions. They came with zip ties, with a Kawasaki part number and everything. So yes, they look as factory as the Oxfords, as in, they look like generic aftermarket grips. The difference is that they are not as warm as the Oxfords and they are much more expensive.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Just put Oxfords on mine (I've had Oxfords on several bikes)..I wired them into the factory plug ins (with the factory relay installed).....The OEM grips are very expensive, and only have Hi and Lo... and look like aftermarket ones like has been said anyway....I could care less about what any of then look like...

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I have read a few times where people(moto-journalists) have recommended against factory heated grips, saying after market products are better. My personal experience with Oxford heated grips has been less than satisfactory, because the left grip does not warm as well as the right due to the handlebar becoming a heat sink. My old Beemer did very well with oem grips, so I'm inclined to think oem is better.
Have any of you tried factory heated grips on the Versys? I would appreciate any comments.
Was very happy with Oxford grips on my last bike. Usually the right grip gets hotter because it is insulated from the heated handlebar via the throttle tube. AME heated grips are popular with forum members as well and incorporate the controller in the grip itself.

You can purchase a $2 relay and socket to ensure they do not draw power when the engine is off.

2015 New Arrival 12V 12Volt 40A Auto Automotive Relay Socket 40 Amp Relay & Wires VEB89 P-in Relays from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have not been able to tell any difference in heating on my right and left hand Oxford Heated grips. They are now selling V.8, so maybe they improved them. The one thing that was a pain was how hard it was to get the throttle grip to slide over my throttle tube - it is a very tight fit. I had to sand my throttle tube and the grip fits so tightly that I didn't use any adhesive.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.