Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Heated Grips

I just finished installing a set of heated grips, just in time for cooler winter riding weather we have in Northern California/Sonoma County. It was an easy project, not difficult on the likes of the Versys.

They work like a charm: nice toasty hands, especially on rather cool, near-frigid mornings.

Now to see if the charging system can keep up with the demands on the next few winter months.

If you've been contemplating heated grips, look to them as a safety feature rather than an "option". Then do it!!!:goodluck:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Everything at the ready: replacement grips (ProGrip PG0724 GONT OPEN END, $16), Symtec grip heaters (210019 MT, $47 - yikes!), ordinary automotive relay (Radio Shack, 06P09, $12 I think), a 5A fuse (Kragen, $5?) a variety of 14 and 18 gauge wire, epoxy, various connectors. And a few tools. A wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Slice down the original grip on the clutch side. I don't plan on re-using the original grips. Some riders use compressed air to "blow up" the grips for re-use. For the cost of replacements, not worth it to me. Assuming you manage to get them off.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
The heating element is a simple toaster-like resistor grid. After cleaning the handle bar and a light sanding with emery paper, peel back the plastic and set the element on the bar. Position it so that wires will be out of the way of normal use. On the right-hand (gas) side, make sure there's enough slack for full motion.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looking for a "convenient" source to power the relay (pin 86), I found an open-ended set of connectors. It's under the seat on the right-hand side, near your thigh: it's not connected to anything, and is fairly well insulated. The top pops off easily enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
the brown wire is part of the brake light system: it's ON when the ignition key is on, so I'll tap into that lead wire to energize the relay. It'll draw next to nothing just to energize the relay. When the relay is energized (pin 86), it will draw full power from the battery from pin 87. This brown lead will be pushed back into its protective sleeve. I'll just slice away at the insulation and twist and solder a lead to the relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Everything under the seat has been put back and tucked away: the relay positive and negative are connected directly to the battery (don't forget to include that 5-amp fuse). You'd hardly tell that a heated-grips system was added.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Final location of the switch (HI-OFF-LOW) on the dash. Fairly easy reach while riding, but it is a cheasy switch, considering what I paid for the kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I forgot to mention the epoxy: when you paint a thin coat of the stuff on top of the heating elements, it acts like a lubricant, it's still a bit difficult to slide the new grips on, but do-able. On their own without any lubricant, almost impossible to slide new grips onto the bare bars.

Have Q-tips ready to pick excess epoxy when you slide the new grips on. And you might want to use some masking tape.

Use high-temperature epoxy, the 5-minute stuff is fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
And one more thing, about the use of a relay:

Why use a relay?

1. You could always just tap into an existing part of the electrical system to power the heated grips system. That will ensure the heated grips come ON only if the ignition key is ON. But that robs juice from the circuit being tapped into. It can cause that circuit to function improperly, or to fail, or to blow its own fuse.

2. It is preferable that the heated grips system "come on" only when the ignition key is on (as well as the engine running to charge the battery). The easiest, safest and most convenient way is to use an ordinary 12volt automotive relay. You can get one from Radio Shack, they've been selling them for the past several centuries.

The relay does several things for you:

- you can tap into an existing circuit on the bike and connect it to pin 86 of the relay to "energize" the relay. This means that when the ignition key is ON, then the relay is also ON. The amount of juice from the circuit just to energize a relay: almost nothing. So the circuit you tap into is unaffected.

- the other "power pin" of the relay (pin 87) can go directly to the positive terminal of the battery. Use a 5-amp fuse for protection. The relay's ground (pin 85) can go directly the the negative terminal.

- pin 30 of the relay goes to the heated grips system (as per the Symtec heated grips instruction).

Doing it this way gets you what you want: heated grips that are ON only if the ignition switch is on, and not messing up any existing electrical circuits on the bike.

Did I say anything incorrect or misleading?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im looking at the heat demons becuase the switch looks really factory and the reviews that I could find look ok. I am going to wait and see what the Versys 2010 acc list looks like there is apparently going to be heated grips? But who knows when they will come out. Its stil warm over here in Sydney so I can wait a couple of months.
The Heat Demons won't go inside the stock Versys bars, as the bar ends are welded, drilled and threaded for the bar ends.

I fitted the standard Symtec heated grip kit to my Versys, much neater than the Oxford's imo. Had them on my past six bikes now and really rate them. About a neat a fit as you'll get I think. I put a link into the place I got them form in the UK, not sure about Aus.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Heated Grips

I thought I would share a few things I have done this winter.

1) New Black Aluminum Arrow Slip-on

2) Kawasaki ZRX1100 mirrors, these are great. They don't move and they only start vibrating above 75 mph.

3) Givi Windshield.

4) Oxford Heated Grips

·
Premium Member
16,308 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Oxfords for 3 yrs now. They worked great when testing them, but wouldnt work after install. Called up Twisted Throttle and they sent me a new "brain" to the system. They have been great since then.

I had a 2 month period were they wouldnt work. Figured it was the same problem I had before, but when I started inspecting the system found a plug had disconnected. Plugged it in, and wrapped in tape. That was 2.5 yrs ago.

Also the mount for the controller is supposed to bolt into the mirror mounts but it does not fit nor are the bolts that it comes with long enough. A U-bolt has since solved that problem though.
I slightly bent the mounting plate to a less extreme angle, and it bolted right up.

Only pic I have on my computer showing the control.

·
Premium Member
16,308 Posts
I checked and and they're still under warranty. After over a year and a half and 33000 miles, yup, still covered. Twisted Throttle is sending me a new controller.

Curious how those AME units work out for y'all. It seemed like they have a single grip mounted button to control each side. Might not be as easy to operate as some other solutions, but it means no switch panel to mount. That plus the grip shape are pretty compelling. Can you easily adjust the temperature while riding?

Very simple to adjust. Its has 6 adjustments if you have each grip set at 2 and want to go up one setting just use you thumb to press the button once or more if you want hotter. The most i've had them set to was position 3 and they got really warm.

·
Registered
616 Posts
One of the reasons I chose them was the dead-simple install. Connect the fused power lead to the battery and don't worry if I accidentally leave them on. If I had known that feature wouldn't work, I might have made a different choice. I was also disappointed that the two middle power level LEDs are hard to see in daylight. On my older set all the LEDs were easy to see.
I received and installed my new Oxford heated grips controller today so I thought I'd update. This new one is version 8, the one it replace was version 7a. Big improvement.

All the LEDs are large and bright. It has 5 settings instead of 4: 30, 40, 50, 75, 100%., with 50 being the new one. And the control panel is the only control bit. With the previous ones there was also a control box that I mounted under the seat--it was a similar size to the control panel.

Also there's an indicator for battery saver mode. Not eager to test it, but hopefully that means battery saver mode works. I expect that indicator should come on if you forget to turn off the grips and they shut themselves off to save the battery.

As I mentioned before that feature worked on my 1st pair. Didn't work with these grips with the V7a controller. And I'd read a post from another inmate complaining his didn't work either. Hopefully they've fixed it now.

My impression of Oxford grips is once again very good! I would buy these again. But I'd make sure I was getting a current model, not old stock.

·
Registered
409 Posts
One of the things I like about the Symtec is you get to choose either a metal toggle switch like the one shown in the post above or a black rocker switch. The black rocker switch makes for a very neat installation that could pass for original equipment, IMO.

Damn! This is what I get for being proud of the look of my switch installation for my Symtec heated grips. On a cool morning recently I switched on the grips and they didn't work. I assumed it was a loose wire, but when I took everything apart and tested, the switch was bad! I was able to buy a new switch that's similar and fits in the same hole I'd already drilled in my dash, and now everything works. But I am not too confident that the new switch will stand up to terrible weather.

:mad:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Heated Grips

WHY do I always fall for the "About one hour" crap! More like 3 hours and 4 trips to the store and then I find the controller isn't working right. I have power, grips turn on and I can turn the heat up BUT not down. The install is so simple, plug up, Power & Ground I don't see where I could have screwed up. Yes I have plus to plus and ground's good. I ended up hooking to the battery and not the Kawasaki powerpoint to try and troubleshoot them. BTW these are REV 7 not the latest and greatest REV 8 so I have the control head and then a module back near the battery.

I did have to pound the controller bracket flat and get longer bolts and spacers to mount it. AND sand the paint off the bar to get the left grip on. Then the left grip would not heat, I quick look and one of the connectors was loose, the metal connector in the plastic Molex. A quick push with a small screwdriver to reseat it and that's fixed.

I'll ride in tomorrow as it's going to be in the 50s I;ll get to try them out. If I like them I put a set on the KLR as well.

I think I'll miss my old heated gear but after the GFs mutt had lunch I'm not spending $600.00+ for as little winter riding as I do to replace it.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts