Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week riding to work I stalled and when I restarted the bike I had no headlights (high or low beam). It was still dark but I was only about a mile from the office so I turned on the emergency flashers and rode onto work (it was almost light out). When I came out at the end of the day the headlights worked again. Now whenever I start the bike I have to make sure the headlight is on. If it isn't on, I turn off the bike and then restart it. It will come on after a few tries. When it doesn't come on the high beam won't come on either.

Any ideas? I haven't looked at the wiring diagram yet.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'd be inclined to make sure the headlight relay is OK. It senses when the alternator stator is energized and closes the headlight circuit to the headlight fuse. You could just establish whether there was voltage at and through the fuse when the engine is running.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will check that.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was in fact the headlight relay. Unfortunately Kawasaki chose to use a "relay box" on the Versys that contains the the Headlight Relay, ECU Main Relay, Fuel Pump Relay, Starter Circuit Relay and Fan Relay. The best price I found was at Ron Ayers. It is easy to replace, but you do have to remove the cowlings and lift the back of the gas tank. But at that point you just unplug the three connectors and plug them into the new relay box.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You may want to check the Rectifier/Regulator output as it may be the root cause of the damaged relay. The Service manual has the procedure to check, I believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts