Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some feedback from riders who've been using this replacement bulb for a while. I read a few older threads here, but was looking for some new information (if any).

Being 65W (rather than the 55W stocker) I'm obviously concerned about the wiring/battery draw (especially if I replace both driving & high beam), as well as consistent performance (some posts suggest they may be performing worse than OEM in that respect).

Thanks!

Shaq

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I replaced both of my bulbs with the Osram Hyper 65w (special service) about 3 months ago. So far so good. A ton of more light than the stockers, no complaints from other motorists. The added bonus is the ability to warm your hands up in the winter. I imagine the only longterm problem possible is the added heat in the housing. I saw one thread mentioning a slight fracturing of the reflective material in the headlight housing above the bulbs. If that's the worst outcome, I'm willing to take the risk. The added light without added weight/kit is key for me. :goodluck:

·
Registered
720 Posts
On most parts, it is easy. The only hurdle is to unplug the adapter which is very tight from factory.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out to be the best upgrade I've done so far. Since replacing the bulbs, the number of minivan-moms and pickup-truck-contractors trying to kill me along my daily commute route has been reduced dramatically. I can literally see they take notice even without switching on my high beam. Highly recommended.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Osram's 65W bulb with larger H9 burner on H7 base from their Special off-road lamps series sheds 2100 lumens, still rated at 500 hrs. :thumb:
Those blue-tinted boosted H7 bulbs have an average life of 350 hrs and 1750~1780 lumens (brightness), compared to 500 hrs for the original standard 55W H7 bulb with 1500 lumens.

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/trends-and-knowledge/automotive-special/automotive-special-topics/special-off-road-lamps/index.jsp

Osram # 64217: http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products/lamps/automotive-lamps/automotive-cars/halogen-headlight-lamps-for-cars/offroad-standard/index.jsp

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use the Philips MotoVision bulbs (available from Cycle Gear or online). They are also 65W and give off an orange tint through the day. Had them on previous bikes and I always ended up selling the bike before they gave out. I passed 15,000 miles on one bike and they were still working great.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
I bought mine from the ebay seller invader recommends. For some reason they both broke within a few months of install. The filament didn't burn out, the electrodes (?) holding the filament actually broke off. I figured it was due to vibration, but the stock bulbs which I put back in are working fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Two Questions:
1) With the increased wattage bulb do you need to change the fuse?
2) When ordering the bulb the manufacturer suggests using it in the high and low beam. Is that correct? Confused...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Time for a lil update.

This is a pic i took a few months back, with osram nightbreaker plus 55w as the high beam bulb.

Here's my lighting pic after swapping in the 65w bulb.*

I cant say i am happy with it, though the slight improvement in the light spread (as compared to prior the swap) is noticeable to my naked eye, the brightness and throw distance is below what i had initially expected. If you compare it with my existing aux lights, you'll understand why i am disappointed.

swap's done. Live with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts