Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been struggling with the vertical alignment of my headlight assembly and turn to you guys for some help.

If I adjust my low beam to the correct height my high beam is shinning into the tree tops in front of me and does absolutely no good. If I adjust my high beams to their appropriate height my low beam only projects out about 15 feet in front of me.

Is there anyway to adjust them independent of each other? Or is there something I could have bumped/broken that would cause them to be so far out of whack?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Is this a 2nd Gen bike? If so I don't think you can adjust them separately. I do know it took a lot of fiddling around to get mine the way I wanted it. Like you said 15' in front of the bike or blinding airline pilots.

Could it be damaged?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I know they are 1 piece on the 1st gens. So they cant be done seperate. I am fighting the same problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I adjusted mine by riding at night and moving the low beam up as high as I could without blinding the car in front of me. I'd pick an average size sedan, get behind it at a comfortable distance, and see where the top of the main light "box" hit. I adjusted it so that cutoff didn't rise higher than the edge of the trunk most of the time. Unless you do most of your riding at night out in the sticks, you want to adjust your low beams to around this level. If you still need more light coverage with your brights on, you might want to look into some add-on lighting.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I adjusted mine by riding at night and moving the low beam up as high as I could without blinding the car in front of me. I'd pick an average size sedan, get behind it at a comfortable distance, and see where the top of the main light "box" hit. I adjusted it so that cutoff didn't rise higher than the edge of the trunk most of the time. Unless you do most of your riding at night out in the sticks, you want to adjust your low beams to around this level. If you still need more light coverage with your brights on, you might want to look into some add-on lighting.
+1

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
YES you can. Turn the riding lamp first using a 8mm wrench on the right side behind the lamp. It's more on top. After you have tuned the driving lamp, go to the bottom left 8mm bolt for the high beam

Been there :D
Glock19 - bet we have different gen Vs. My '08 and '09 use a 10mm, behind, top right, to adjust BOTH, either up or down. (Just did it a night ago....)

·
Registered
720 Posts
My bike is a 2nd gen and there is no way to adjust both independently.
I adjusted the headlamps for max distance high beam. For shorter distance, i have my wide flooding aux driving lights taking care of 'em. Plus it works well as DRL too.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry guys.. I should have been more clear on my question.

Yes I know the proper way of aligning our headlights. The proper way doesn't really work due to the alignment issues I (and others) mentioned.

I was hoping someone found a work around for this design flaw like so many have with other flaws in our V's design.

Thanks though, at least now I know I'm not alone with my headlight issues.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
solved it by adding Denali Micro driving lights
not cheap but 4 months of the year I leave for work before sunrise & don't get home until after sunset.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts