Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to adjust the headlamp, it is not projecting out far enough at all. No visible adjustment screws on the front, anyone done this and can advise on procedure...do you have to remove cowling etc.?
Boltos
Lexington, KY

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I suppose if you fiddle with it long enough and have small enough hands you might be able to adjust the lights without taking the fairings off, but it is a simple task to take them off and it makes things so much easier. I've adjusted mine and took off the Right Cowling to adjust vertically and took off the left cowing to adjust Horizontally. There is an adjustment screw you can turn with your fingers on either side.

I put mine in the driveway at night and adjusted the lights where I wanted them at night. It makes a world of difference. I don't see any need to change the bulbs, just adjust them to your liking. You can find this adjustment in the owners manual that came with the bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've adjusted mine by reaching in behind the headlight from the bottom right without removing any plastic. It helps to look in there with a flashlight first to see what you're reaching for.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I replaced my low beam with a Silverstar when I adjusted the height. Realized afterwards I could have stayed with the stocker, but the Silverstar is nice. Now high beam provides a broader beam that fills the ditches better, but doen't provide much more distance. Next time I have the cowling off I will probably replace the high beam with a Silverstar as well, cheap insurance when riding at night to have the extra lighting..

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If you have a long phillips head you can just slide it up under the right cowling into the adjustment wheel to adjust the headlight without removing anything. I have attached the picture from the service manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it, Thanks, works quite well.
Boltos

If you have a long phillips head you can just slide it up under the right cowling into the adjustment wheel to adjust the headlight without removing anything. I have attached the picture from the service manual.

·
Registered
52 Posts
changing lights?

I bought Eurolight H7 bulbs, but the tabs are much smaller for the wiring harness to attach to. I havent found any H7's that are different. Where did you find the longer/broader spaded bulbs?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thread rez! I kept reading, all you needed to adjust the headlight on one's Versys was a phillips head screw driver, but after examining my bike, I couldn't see where a phillips might go to adjust the headlight. At first, that picture sharrison posted was even more confusing. I saw the grey, spoked looking wheel, but it wasn't until I got back under the bike that I saw the channel leading up to it. Slide the screw driver right up through the channel and the phillips head catches the spokes on that little wheel, voila!

Thought I'd share. I kept looking for a phillips screw head, I don't think I'd ever used a phillips to adjust something like that. :thanx:

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
You can do it by hand without a phillips screwdriver.

Lower LEFT vertical adjuster is rotated clockwise to move light beam to the LEFT... UPPER right horizontal adjuster is rotaed clockwise to move light beam UP.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I bought Eurolight H7 bulbs, but the tabs are much smaller for the wiring harness to attach to. I havent found any H7's that are different. Where did you find the longer/broader spaded bulbs?
You need to remove and reuse the base connector or your original H7 bulbs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You need to remove and reuse the base connector or your original H7 bulbs.
And don't lose/misplace that connector! The last time I did my bulb, I was doing multiple projects and when I went back to install the bulb, the base connector was no where to be found. I used the one from the high-beam to get by and went down to the dealer to get another one the next day.... You have to buy both of them (they come as a set) and it is...get this...$150+!!!! :eek:
Luckily, I found mine a few days later...it turned up in a bag of goodies in the fridge at the shop! LOL :clap:

As others have said, I had no problem adjusting my beam without removing a thing. I believe there are pretty good instructions in the Owner's Manuel if you don't have a service manual.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Owner's manual does not specify which way to rotate the adjusters, which is why I said:

Lower LEFT vertical adjuster is rotated clockwise to move light beam to the LEFT... UPPER right horizontal adjuster is rotated clockwise to move light beam UP.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I took off the fairings and used a hex socket. Cant remember what size though as the last time i adjusted the headlamp was like about a year ago. Adjust it one time and left it at that.

·
Super Moderator
20,657 Posts
I took off the fairings and used a hex socket. Cant remember what size though as the last time i adjusted the headlamp was like about a year ago. Adjust it one time and left it at that.
10 mm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I rode my Versys into work for the first time yesterday. I left home at 545am and it was still so dark and cold, (for the south). I couldn't see crap, so flipped to high beam which helped a little bit, but it still stunk. As soon as I arrived at work I was on this web page and found this helpful information. I got home and using the above guidance went to work. I road into work again this morning and it was like riding a different motorcycle.

Thanks for passing on the knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
10mm bolt on the head light you can reach it with a bolt driver or hand socket without taking the fairings off by turning the bars to full lock and reaching from above , if you can park about 30ish feet from a wall and set your bike level and adjust your lite till your focal point is about 3-4' up the wall from the ground.

Reactions: onewizard
1 - 17 of 17 Posts