Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I got a question about 'porting and polishing' as it were...
In the old days casting technology was pretty rough so cleaning up the pathways did indeed increase efficiency. But today is there still a benefit to be found???
My limited understanding of all things "eternally combustible" tells me that casting technology now is so advanced that that there is no need to go in and try to make things ...smoother!

Sooooooo...explain please?:stickpoke:
...cuz, I'm not very bright but I can lift heavy things!:D
:thanx:

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
Cylinder head porting refers to the process of modifying the intake and exhaust ports of an internal combustion engine to improve the quality and quantity of the air flow. Cylinder heads, as manufactured, are usually suboptimal due to design and manufacturing constraints. Porting the heads provides the finely detailed attention required to bring the engine to the highest level of efficiency. More than any other single factor, the porting process is responsible for the high power output of modern engines.

This process can be applied to a standard racing engine to optimize its power output as well as to a production engine to turn it into a racing engine, to enhance its power output for daily use or to alter its power output characteristics to suit a particular application.

Daily human experience with air gives the impression that air is light and nearly non-existent as we move slowly through it. However, an engine running at high speed experiences a totally different substance. In that context, air can be thought of as thick, sticky, elastic, gooey and heavy (see viscosity). Pumping it is a major problem for engines running at speed so head porting helps to alleviate this.

complete write up on porting:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting

:cheers:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a question about 'porting and polishing' as it were...
In the old days casting technology was pretty rough so cleaning up the pathways did indeed increase efficiency. But today is there still a benefit to be found???
My limited understanding of all things "eternally combustible" tells me that casting technology now is so advanced that that there is no need to go in and try to make things ...smoother!

Sooooooo...explain please?:stickpoke:
...cuz, I'm not very bright but I can lift heavy things!:D
:thanx:
ok let me see if i can get everything...

first off you do not want a perfectly smooth surface it actually creates air drag. go and research why a golf ball is dimpled.

second, when you are looking for max power, which the factory is not(EPA bastards) you need to make your runners larger and make sure you dont have any air drag areas( using dye and a flow bench to find bad areas.

lastly the factories of anything don't build things to perfection. they build them as fast and cheaply as possible.(true with all things).

I hope this helps

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Thanks to both of you for the education.:cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Isn't the main cost in porting the labor involved? What mechanic is giving you a group discount on LABOR? I thought the whole point of group buys is that the dealer gets a better price on parts because of buying in quantity.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Old School meaning of Port and Polish of OEM head

porting = larger valves
polishing = smoothing of passages

&

inquery -> inquiry

Spizzle onizzle up for mizzle wizzle you?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't the main cost in porting the labor involved? What mechanic is giving you a group discount on LABOR? I thought the whole point of group buys is that the dealer gets a better price on parts because of buying in quantity.
look its my main guy who does all my port work. the more steady his work is the less he has to charge for labor because there is garuanteed work which means he can pay his bills. same reason it is cheaper to build 100 of something rather than one. do this find out how much ur local shop would charge you and let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts