Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God works in mysterious ways. My garage burned up 10 days ago and with it my 2015 Versys 650. Loved that bike and had it totally dialed in.

My buddy Jim came by 2 days ago to help my wife and I as we continued to sift through all the charred remains. Jim was pretty bummed when he saw my poor melted Versys.

He asked me when I planned to get another bike. I told him a new bike was not even on the radar as we were up to our arm pits in all things smoke and char.

Then he said "Tim you need to get a new bike sooner than later." He had in mind my mental health and figured a new bike would be necessary therapy, kinda like a 2 wheeled service dog.

So that night I took a peek at Craigslist when I saw this pretty much new 2015 Dorsoduro for $5300. Good price but probably has a million miles...or so I thought. It only had 1150 miles.

I picked it up tonight. It also came with a fabric jacket and a new Shoei helmet with a bluetooth unit installed.

To say I am stunned and happy would be an understatement.

Any guesses what I will be doing tomorrow?????

Attachments

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
That's a very nice machine. Hope you enjoy it immensely.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a feeling you will be trying to decide what accessories that bike needs.
Ordered a Nelson Rigg tail bag.

My only gripe is 3 gallon tank. 100 miles it about it before you are looking for a gas station....ah but it sure is a fun 100 miles.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
The suspension is fantastic. Planted and plush too.

My old back sure do like it.
A few years ago we had an Aprilia & Moto Guzzi dealer not far from my home (they've since consolidated with their primary shop in the Austin, TX area). I stopped by one day just to lust after their bikes and ended up being given an Aprilia 850 Mana for the entire afternoon!

What an amazing machine I thought that was. I must have put over 100 miles on it and all I had to do was 1) not crash and 2) fill the tank before I returned it. I seriously considered exchanging my Gen 1 Versys for it on the spot. Fortunately I didn't have the necessary $$$ in my wallet. Ah well, I merely added it to the long list of missed opportunities.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Good for you. that is a fine machine. If i don't get the Yamaha Tracer, that is on my list. However, no close service in my market.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good for you. that is a fine machine. If i don't get the Yamaha Tracer, that is on my list. However, no close service in my market.
Same here. Nearest dealer is 150 miles away.

Not a big issue for me as I do all my own work on the bike. I put very little trust in dealerships these days.

Would not buy any bike if I had to rely on the dealership to service it.

Don't get me wrong, there are some really fine mechanics out there. The question is how do you know? Bikes are too expensive to find out the hard way.

A good friend owns Santa Barbara Motorsports and is also the lead mechanic. Chris is the real deal. Master engine builder and not just bike engines. You should see his hot rod bucket T. Think it pumps out round 700 horse power!:surprise:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Yeah that's a well engineered bike for sure. Nice saddle and twin mufflers/tail piece. It even comes standard with tapered aluminum handlebars... How does that Italian V-twin run and sound?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
. How does that Italian V-twin run and sound?
You cannot beat the character of a V-twin motor. Absolutely love it, but the sound it makes is better than smoking awesome... it's heavenly.

Kinda like Goldy Locks and the 3 Bears. This one is too quiet, this one is too loud...ah but this one is just right, and it certainly is.

Best sounding stock exhaust of any bike I have owned.

It's nuthin short of a mechanical symphony.

Makes you want to leave the ear plugs at home so you can better enjoy the exhaust music.

·
Registered
638 Posts
A good friend hangs with some hooty tooty company and a few years ago they flew one of the guys jets into Florence and were driven to the Duco factory in Bologna. They had their choice of bikes to use to do their 4 day ride, and traded of bikes during the trip with each other. My friend's main bike at the time was a RT 1150, and he didn't want to ride one of the powerhouse Ducos or the larger Monster, and he ended up riding one of the Aprillia's that i think was either an 1100 r, or something a little smaller. He and all the other riders were very impressed with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts