Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Fly-Sig, yes you are right. the upper nipple is for vapour pressure release and the lower for fuel overflow. this can be clearly seen from the diagrams I attached. unfortunately, in Thailand they do not have the 14069 breather, so I just ordered some plastic T-nipples; even though I suppose there is no harm in two lines hanging separately.

What puzzles me is that most the members here seem to be from US, and the US models come without the evaporative emission box. So are you guys just removing the box that isn't there? :). I assume that US does not follow the Euro's annoying restrictions just out principle... :). Maybe it is different in California though.
CARB requires an evap control system, so all bikes Kawasaki ships to California or the dozen or so other states that follow CARB standards do have it. Other US states do not require it.

Read this thread - it talks about 14069 as well, and what to do without it:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
what about simply using the fuel air vent cap, like the one on dirt bikes? I mean, to fit it on the upper venting nipple. I have the same on my tank cap on the crf250. another option is to fit a short line with fuel filter at the end, as someone suggested. i am not sure if the vent nipple moves only the vapour out or also sucks the air in equalising the pressure inside the tank?

the thread that was suggested to me is a bit confusing as it refers to older bikes with different colour of hoses/nipples. mine are all black as far as I remember.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Look, most of you don't have California bikes, stop chiming in. (There bike let them convert) people that bought a California version go on Revzilla or your favorite part site and order the tubing for non California bike and install done.
Born in China, lived 11 year of my life there. "Global Warming" and "climate change" is all faults narrative, change my mind.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
What puzzles me is that most the members here seem to be from US, and the US models come without the evaporative emission box. So are you guys just removing the box that isn't there? :). I assume that US does not follow the Euro's annoying restrictions just out principle... :). Maybe it is different in California though. Asia - India, Thailand - seems to follow all the Euro regulations religiously.
Some states do require it, others don't. Strictly speaking, it may be illegal to remove emissions equipment that is factory installed even if not required in a particular state. My state does not require the evap, but removing it isn't supposed to be allowed. That's one reason I converted to the factory configuration, so it does match something approved on a new bike.

Our laws differentiate between types of vehicles, so what is required on a passenger car isn't the same as a motorcycle, truck, or other vehicle.

California is generally a lot more restrictive than any other state. They had a terrible smog problem in the 1960's and 1970's, which has been greatly eliminated now. Many other areas do not have the same crowding or geography/weather factors, so for them the cost of implementing such restrictions is just wasted money. And, tbh, California government seems to like to brag about pushing as far as they can!

One more thing, let's suppose that I leave that upper nipple open or cap it with a small rubber cap and puncture a small hole in it - is there is a danger from dust or water getting in??
I think you need to be sure it can breathe, so I would not cap it off, and I would be sure there is always a path for air. I wouldn't trust a hole poked in a rubber cap. If you ride in a dusty area then yes, I think there is a risk of dust getting in if you just leave it open. I would run some kind of rubber hose just to make it harder for dust to migrate in.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Some states do require it, others don't. Strictly speaking, it may be illegal to remove emissions equipment that is factory installed even if not required in a particular state. My state does not require the evap, but removing it isn't supposed to be allowed. That's one reason I converted to the factory configuration, so it does match something approved on a new bike.

Our laws differentiate between types of vehicles, so what is required on a passenger car isn't the same as a motorcycle, truck, or other vehicle.

California is generally a lot more restrictive than any other state. They had a terrible smog problem in the 1960's and 1970's, which has been greatly eliminated now. Many other areas do not have the same crowding or geography/weather factors, so for them the cost of implementing such restrictions is just wasted money. And, tbh, California government seems to like to brag about pushing as far as they can!

I think you need to be sure it can breathe, so I would not cap it off, and I would be sure there is always a path for air. I wouldn't trust a hole poked in a rubber cap. If you ride in a dusty area then yes, I think there is a risk of dust getting in if you just leave it open. I would run some kind of rubber hose just to make it harder for dust to migrate in.
yes, it makes sense. what about my other suggestions, such as fuel air vent or fuel filter? actually, I just added a fuel filter to my KLX 230 vent nipple attached to a short line. KLX has much simpler design though.

·
Super Moderator
20,219 Posts
...Also, I've read that people who removed these boxes reported that they started to smell gas in their garage.
I removed the 'box' on my '09 and NEVER had gas smells from it. Just sayin'....

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
so today I open my 650 and it is all actually super easy. the lower nipple/pipe runs directly down as fuel overflow. the top one (vent) is connected to the black box. first I tried with fuel filter, but my mechanic suggested to use T nipple and join the pipes, which does look more clean. I cannot foresee any issues with this set up, unless some of you think otherwise? of course, i fitted rubber caps on the throttle bodies; we managed this without lifting the tank.
fuel filter.jpg
T-nipple.jpg

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i also just now removed the EVAP box from V1000. This time I took the solenoid out and replaced it a proper resistor.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ok, I received from abroad the proper replacement for the EVAP. I installed it, as I paid for it. But frankly speaking the T-system is good enough, and I cannot see how that little tank can make any difference. if anything. the small hole in that tank may invite some dust to migrate into the tank.
breather.jpg

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I think the little tank may prevent a vacuum lock with fluids compared to just a T in the line. My theory on parts like this is that they wouldn't have spent the money on developing it or installing it if they didn't have a good reason.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts