Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone geared down - 14T front/47T Rear?

I see a lot of threads gearing up, I'm thinking of gearing down for a little more snap. My concern is how much wear the rubber chain guide might get with a smaller sprocket, and to make sure the 47T rear would be clear of the chain guard. Thanks!

Edit - Sorry, I meant 14T front. Looking to drop one up front, go up one in the rear.

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
If you're worried about the chain wearing the plastic guide - why not stay w/ the 15T front, and do ALL the change at the rear? Say a 50T....

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
If you're worried about the chain wearing the plastic guide - why not stay w/ the 15T front, and do ALL the change at the rear? Say a 50T....
+1 Easier by a long shot! :thumb: That way if you just touch the gas, bam your into a wheelie!

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
The 15T w/ a 50T gives 3.333 as a gear ratio. The 14T w/ a 47T gives 3.36 which is SLIGHTLY lower geared. Just easier to go to a 50T IMHO....

Wheelie-monster BOTH ways...! :stickpoke:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have only looked at JT but they don't offer anything bigger than a 47, and only in aluminum. Agree that making the changes at the rear sprocket would be easiest, though a 50 might put the chain pretty close to the guard.

I'll take some measurements this weekend and figure out the circumference of a 14T front (14/46) and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input all. I ended up sticking with stock gearing. I still think the 14T could add some fun, but my stock chain didn't last long (7500 miles) before it started kinking and o-rings started squishing out of the side plates. I thought I would run a high quality chain on stock gearing before making any other changes. Only anecdotal but I always cut the chain off with a rotary tool and the stock chain seemed really soft. I'm pretty sure it's not DID's best product. The counter sprocket showed some mild wear but the rear looked pretty good. I put new JT sprockets on anyway but kept the stock rear as a spare... More because I hate throwing stuff out.

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
FWIW - on my '08 V (43,000 miles and counting on the ORIGINAL chain...) I replaced the front sprocket at 29,000 miles, and reversed the rear.

That was 14,000 miles ago.

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts