Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have harsh or noisy shifting or downshifting? Happens most from neutral to first and 2nd to first, but other gear combinations also, while the clutch is pulled in, during the shift. There is no clutch cable adjustment issue. Oil changes are mentioned from experienced Kawa owners as a fix, on ADVRider.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My X300 shifts easily, quietly and smoothly. No force required at all, and if you have the revs right clutchless shifts are a breeze.
Like all bikes you need to be a little more positive 1st to 2nd (because neutral is in there) but it is NEVER harsh or noisy.

Are you using a motorcycle specific 10W-40 oil? What is this ADV rider "fix"? I would only take notice of Ninja 300 advice as the engine is identical in spec.

If you ride in a cold climate perhaps a 10W-30 may be beneficial (if you feel that the clutch plates are binding), but when fully warmed the changes should be smooth and easy. Having said that some different oil brands do seem to allow the clutch plates to part more readily.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chain is not the issue, as this is happening during shift while the clutch is pulled in, not when it engages.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Your bike is almost new. If there is an issue it should also show up when the bike is sitting idling and you pull in the clutch. Otherwise it must be related to chain or wheels.
Normally the bike will idle a little quieter when the clutch is in. Try it. If there is a noise of any sort we need to hear it.

·
Super Moderator
19,633 Posts
The ADVrider fix is just an oil change. But it does imply I'm not the only one with this issue....
LOTS of us on V650s have found that our shifting improved dramatically when we changed to synthetic oil.

Quite a few of us run Mobil1 15w-50 AUTOMOBILE oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts