Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HD have introduced new, 2020 bikes that break the traditional HD mold. An adv bike, a street fighter and electric bicycles, perhaps because they feel basing the future of the company solely on licensing their brand to apparel manufacturers and building heritage cruiser style bikes is risky. The question is will more than just Harley people buy these bikes? I sincerely hope so however for this to happen it must make more of an effort than say the failed Buell Ulysses.

Based on a friend who owned a Ulysses I say the Ulysses was a great bike and perhaps the bike that invented the sports touring adv bike category the Versys 650 and 1000 belong to, but was not build in high enough quantities to warrant the mechanical and reliability refinement it needed. It was constantly breaking down and had a lot of little mechanical niggles like burning legs on the high exhaust and a red line at 5000 RPM or a giant front disk rotor that always wobbled.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/30/harley-davidson-ceo-matt-levatichresponds-to-trump-criticism-about-pr.html

https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-davidson-to-build-adventure-motorcycles-streetfighters-and-electric-bicycles-following-2019

What ever is powering these bikes appears to be > 1200cc, water cooled and has a common oil sump like modern japanese and european bikes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That adventure bike sure doesn't look very nimble. It is going to require a rider much bigger and stronger than me. I wonder what the weight is going to be on that beast?

Randy

·
Registered
759 Posts
IMO, too boxy-looking. Also, I wouldn't trust the engine. Looks like parts would fall off the minute you hot some bumps! I ain't bashing HD as a company here, just those new concepts they put out. Harley's got a tough road ahead of them.

Are they planning to keep these bikes belt-driven? Because if so, I wouldn't buy an ADV bike with a belt.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Should have just brought back the Buell Ulysses.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Where do you hang bags and rack?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I admire them for being original with the style. What I wonder is how functional and competitive it will be be. There is no point in building a 1000cc adv bike that sells for the price of a fully optioned BMW 1200 GS but that gets bested at every turn by a Honda Africa Twin. Standard integrated crash bars and belly pan sounds like a great idea, as long as they are actually functional and not decorative. There seems to be a missing engine. Has anyone heard Harley announce a new mid size water cooled power plant with integrated transmission?

·
Registered
279 Posts
more power to HD for trying. i hope they pull it off. HD bikes are in general, form over function. to successfully compete in the adv market, they need to focus more on functionality. the bike can't just look good, it's got to deliver.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
more power to HD for trying. i hope they pull it off. HD bikes are in general, form over function. to successfully compete in the adv market, they need to focus more on functionality. the bike can't just look good, it's got to deliver.
Form over function accurately describes all but the touring line up. I've ridden them all and don't understand most of them. The Road Glide is an amazing motorcycle tourer.

On the other hand my wife said my Versys looked like a praying mantis

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Well, this has stirred the pot a bit - and that's good. And I do rather like the vacuum cleaner nozzle in place of a headlight feature on the ADV bike.

Actually, I hope H-D succeeds in appealing to a wider range of riders. The leather vest adorned with pins and patches crowd is aging and the newer generations don't seem as inclined to buy into the H-D cruiser genre. If reports are correct, they don't seem to be buying much of anything we older creatures believe to be worthy of purchasing - homes, cars, motorcycles. How things change, yes, no?

Reactions: Shibumik

·
Registered
167 Posts
More power to them. Gotta do something. Otherwise, eventually, you're just going to run out of harmless old farts who braid their beards and play let's dress up like pirates.

Tho if it was me, I'd concentrate first on making generators, lawnmowers, ATVs, outboards ... anything so you have sales all four seasons instead of just one, one and a half.

Glad to see it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
A H-D generator.
Would the Motor Company purchase Lucas Electric for that venture? :surprise:>:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
On the other hand my wife said my Versys looked like a praying mantis
I can't help associating a face in my mind either with any bike I see. I always thought the Versys looked like a mantis / dragon / scorpion. The Multistrada looks like an eagle face, KTM is just badass transformer face. Harley ADV is...mole, pig don't quite know yet.

Reactions: Shibumik

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I can't help associating a face in my mind either with any bike I see. I always thought the Versys looked like a mantis / dragon / scorpion. The Multistrada looks like an eagle face, KTM is just badass transformer face. Harley ADV is...mole, pig don't quite know yet.
It kind of looks like Bender from the cartoon series! I still think it looks better than the first generation Versys 650 headlight, lol. I'd love to see HD score a home run with a non cruiser design like the Pan America or their electric bikes but it may be a bit much to ask on their first outing.

·
Registered
2017 Versys 1000k
222 Posts
The Super Tenere reminds me of a bird that’s lost it’s beak - and doesn’t know why! Aside from sounding like two skeletons having sex in a metal trashcan, they are quite worthy ADV machines.

Reactions: StormRider

·
Registered
449 Posts
To me that top photo looks photoshopped. This is all part of an HD hype video found here: https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/about-us/more-roads.html

It is all smoke and mirrors - and the glimpse of this HD Adventure being jumped in the desert is fake. The video shows a bike with cast wheels, the video shows a bike with a different muffler, the video shows a bike without the sid pan, the video shows a bike with a different alternator cover, a different gas tank, a different headlight assembly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I ride a gen 2 V, so keep that in mind...

I like the look of the "ADV cruiser" H-D. It doesn't look like any other bike and that is a good thing. I prefer function over form, like the headlight on my V. Am I interested in an 800+lb. cruiser on knobby tires? No, that is a bike that won't meet my functional needs. But, I bet that they will sell well along with H-D branded Klim gear. With easy financing, the $60k "off the lot" price won't be too hard to swallow. And their owners will take them on long highway rides to groomed gravel roads and fully serviced camp grounds. Or to the closest coffee shop.

Regardless, H-D needs to get out of the rut they have been stuck in for decades if they want their sales to increase. The "bad ass biker" image isn't selling well to the younger buyers, and the "new fangled tech" isn't selling to the aging "loud pipes and vest with patches" crowd. But the tech is required to meet existing and impending laws, so the Motor Co. has to diversify their market or sales will continue to fall.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts