Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the compatibility of the two has been talked about several times on here. But my question is a little different. I bought both used, in a bulk purchase of accessories off another bike. Neither came with the actual mounting hardware. So I'm aware that they share some mounting points. When doing both, which hardware do you really use for mounting? I'm assuming the GIVI hardware, and just shorten the spacers? I'm getting ready to order the GIVI parts kit for $40, which I'm assuming doesn't include shipping, as trying to source some of the pieces locally; especially the spacers and metric all-thread. Is turning out to be problematic.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
just go to the hard wear store and get bolts and cut to length that you need. make sure to put a nut on the bolt befor cutting to clean up the threads

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just go to the hard wear store and get bolts and cut to length that you need. make sure to put a nut on the bolt befor cutting to clean up the threads
Been there, tried that. It's what I had to do for my Sw-Motech rear and side quick-lock carriers with Trax cases. But the Givi Crash bars are a different animal. Went to the local hardware store with the best selection; heck it's even called "Nuts & Bolts". They don't have metric threaded rod, and the last thing I want to do is go SAE on one thing, which would then require me to carry some SAE tools; should I have to remove the bars. Plus they don't have spacers that are close to long enough or the correct sizes, or strong enough. When I did the side bag mounts, I had to buy chrome spacers that were way too large in OD, then grind them down to the correct dia. removing all the chrome, then cut them down. At just under $5 a piece, it was a complete waste. Not to mention, I want either all stainless or at least some sort of Zinc or Nickel coating for corrosion and rust protection. And I don't have the time to re-invent the wheel, I've got to have my finished basement emptied and demo'd by 11/3 for the start of foundation work, have a Baby due 12/26, will be traveling for work quite a bit, and still have a million other things to do.

So I figure I'll either buy the Givi or Motech hardware kit, and just make the necessary changes. I understand that some modification is going to be required, and I have no problem with that. But, I'm just trying to make it quicker and easier on myself.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Have you checked ebay???

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Been there, tried that. It's what I had to do for my Sw-Motech rear and side quick-lock carriers with Trax cases. But the Givi Crash bars are a different animal. Went to the local hardware store with the best selection; heck it's even called "Nuts & Bolts". They don't have metric threaded rod, and the last thing I want to do is go SAE on one thing, which would then require me to carry some SAE tools; should I have to remove the bars. Plus they don't have spacers that are close to long enough or the correct sizes, or strong enough. When I did the side bag mounts, I had to buy chrome spacers that were way too large in OD, then grind them down to the correct dia. removing all the chrome, then cut them down. At just under $5 a piece, it was a complete waste. Not to mention, I want either all stainless or at least some sort of Zinc or Nickel coating for corrosion and rust protection. And I don't have the time to re-invent the wheel, I've got to have my finished basement emptied and demo'd by 11/3 for the start of foundation work, have a Baby due 12/26, will be traveling for work quite a bit, and still have a million other things to do.

So I figure I'll either buy the Givi or Motech hardware kit, and just make the necessary changes. I understand that some modification is going to be required, and I have no problem with that. But, I'm just trying to make it quicker and easier on myself.
WTF no metric?!?! thats F-ed
sorry to hear that :( best of luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked ebay???
I've checked all over the internet, including ebay for the Crashbar Hardware kit. I can't even find a part number for the kit, let alone someone that sells it. short of contacting Givi directly. But my original question still remains. Which installation hardware gets used the most when installing both? The Givi or the SW-Motech?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the Givi crashbars installed first, and then added the sw motech skidplate. I had to swap positions of spacers that were already installed from givi kit with some that came with skidplate hardware kit. I ended up using a couple of spacers put together and some washers for spacing on the rear threaded rod. The spacing on the rear threaded rod was the biggest change because the spacer is made for givi bars and when you add sw motech mounting brackets to it, it changes the length of spacer needed. Kind of difficult to explain without actually doing it. To make a long story short, I mixed and matched pieces from both hardware kits. If I had to buy one hardware kit, I would buy the givi hardware kit. The threaded rod in the givi kit is the longer one between the two kits and it ends up being the one needed to fit through both brackets. I think you could find material to use as spacers if you needed to get creative to complete the install.
my bike is here;
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60738

install instructions
http://static.twisted-throttle.net/media/files/mss_08_712_10000_b.pdf
http://old.itlcanada.com/internal2/instructions/fiches/076tn422.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts