Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I own a 2008 with 7,900 miles. I don't ride everyday, but it usually does not sit for longer than 3 or 4 days. Recently I have had excessive cranking when starting cold and then it will start and stall unless I hold the throttle open some. Once it get running the fast idle works and runs fine. I live in Phoenix, AZ so it is not that cold out (mid 40's to low 50's at night and 80 day). Any ideas? Thanks for any help I can get.::thanx:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had the same problem last year when it got cold. I was used to turning the key and hitting the start button and having if fire up right away. then in the cold it would die on start up. so I started waiting a bit after turning the key and its been fine. You know the sound it makes after turning the key? maybe its the fuel pump priming? I don't know but it helped. I'm doing the same right now in the cold. in the summer I went right back to hitting the start button after turning the key. No problems starting. give it a try let us know how it go's:thumb:
Donn
Green 09 :goodluck:

·
Registered
130 Posts
You know, my 08 with 11k miles has been doing the same exact thing this winter. I didn't notice it last summer, but started getting a little concerned when I noticed it this winter. Once it starts, the bike idles and runs perfect. I dont know if the plugs were changed at 7500 miles because I bought the back with 10k on the odometer. I will see if it continues into the summer and if it does, then I might take a closer look at a potential problem.

Until then, ride on

Jason

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Normal idle once it's warmed up must be set to 1300 (+/- 50) RPM. Beside new spark plugs, a throttle body vacuum synchronization will help as well.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Gasoline when cold tend not to evaporate easily thus have difficulty to ignite.
Engine oil tends to be thicker till warmed up. Batteries don't like the cold. Best to check the batteries voltage and check batteries are charging.

Does it smell like unburnt fuel at start up? meaning it's too rich then.
As you had opened the throttle a bit will allow more air, leaning the air fuel mixture.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had the same problem last week on my '08, and I am running on the original battery, so I just through my charger on it for a couple of hours and it is fine. Started right up Wed. and Thurs. with no hesitation at all.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I keep a trickle charger on my 09 when it's in the garage - especially in the winter. Never had a starting problem with 12,500 miles so far. Original battery. New plugs, cleaned air filter at 7,500 miles. Great machine for my use.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Funny, my middle name is Merlin. I STILL WANT TO KNOW IF WAITING A BIT AFTER TURNING THE KEY HELPED???? Claypgn? :D

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Funny, my middle name is Merlin. I STILL WANT TO KNOW IF WAITING A BIT AFTER TURNING THE KEY HELPED???? Claypgn? :D
I wait for the FI (red) light to go out, then hit the starter.

34,000 miles on my '08.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not changed the plugs or air filter yet. I just found out about that a few days ago when I stopped by the dealer to see if my chain might need replacement. The bike did not come with an owners manual. I have since downloaded it from this site. I have been in the auto repair industry for 25 yrs
(ASE master auto tech certs) and I always wait for the fuel pump to prime on all my vehicles - just habit. I rode two days ago and it started fine (it had only sat two days before riding at that point). I will be riding this morning so I'll try to pay close attention to any rich running condition. I will have to wait for a day off before attempting to replace the plugs, etc. My husband likes working on his BMW K75, so maybe he'll surprise me and will do my maintenance when I'm working. :forgetit: Thank you all for the advise. This is my first road bike and only my second motorcycle. I'll keep you posted!:thanx:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Another possibility is running a heavier, (summer), weight oil during cold weather. I had an oil change in Acapulco, MX a couple of years ago, and they used a heavier oil which worked fine at sea level, but when I went to start the bike after being parked a couple of days in San Cristobal de las Casas, which is at around 8000 ft. elevation it didn't work so good => Very hard starting and running until it was fully warmed up.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
When turning ignition on, fuel pump can be heard pressurizing fuel system, as well as the subthrottle actuator cycling and assuming a fast idle position with the subthrottle shaft cam further opening the main throttle... It is still important to have normal warmed-up idle set to 1300 rpm for optimum engine starting throttle opening position, and to prevent stalling when fast idle is disactivated.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts