Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some 10mm spools and a rear wheel lift from Harbor Freight. Put the spools on and then went to lift the wheel, but the "Arms" coming out of the lift are just rectangular, rubber covered pieces that don't really "grab on" to the spools. Almost seems like the could just roll right off. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arrgghh!! Thanks Machdog. Yup, I bough the first one you linked to there. So I guess I didn't need the spools afterall. Thanks.

·
Registered
959 Posts
that caught me out on the paddock stand too...

the version you've got works fine providing you don't have anything under the swinging arm.. unfortunately I do (as Scottoiler)

i took me ages to realise I'd bought the wrong one.....

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Go back to Harbor Freight and get the accessory spool adapters they sell for it. They're cheap.

Reactions: jnor

·
Registered
9 Posts
ttpete is correct, they are 10 bucks, they also have a front lift to easily clean wheels and change tires. It must be used along with the rear lift.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But if the one I got will work on the swingarm WITHOUT spools, isn't that just as good? Also, do you need to have someone straighten the bike up when you put the lift underneath? Can't quite get in under there with the bike on the sidestand.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
The bike will be a little more stable when locked on the spools, they are worth it for me. to keep the other type around will be handy in the future, some bikes don't have the threaded bong for spools, KLRs are one example.

First time you use either type have some help, you will need to find the proper width to set the lift arms/spool lift. I use a 2x4 under the side stand, helps alot.

·
Registered
272 Posts
great find on that site I've never heard of them and Im in the market for both spools and a lift (tired of pay for chain tightening)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm.....I can't find those spool adapters anywhere on their site. I don't want to shell out another $40 for an entirely new lift (I got the other lift that was a little more expensive). Do you know for a fact that they sell just the spool adapters there?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
tired of pay for chain tightening
Hope you are not doing too much of this? I have just over 20k on my chain and have adjusted (tightened) it once. If you lube every 300-400 miles it shouldn't need adjusting much. I highly recommend this stuff, as do much smater people than I, including www.webBikeworld.com.

I can't find those spool adapters anywhere on their site
Don't think they make spool adapters. You can get adapters for front wheel lift. But the black coated channels you have work just as well as spools. I have both because I wanted to put the front adapters on 'your' stand.

Machog

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmmm.....I can't find those spool adapters anywhere on their site. I don't want to shell out another $40 for an entirely new lift (I got the other lift that was a little more expensive). Do you know for a fact that they sell just the spool adapters there?
I have seen these parts in the store, Is there a store near by you? The sales guy said they are starting to get alot of M/C stuff. I should be going to the HF store this weekend or sooner, check the website again, if you can't find them I'll pick them up and mail them to you. I think they are $10 + about $1 az sales tax, (actually .88 cent) + shipping usps priority $8?? Is it worth it?
Email me if I can help [email protected] .

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't changed my oil yet. Can oil be completely drained (you know, with the shape of the oil pan & all) using only a rear stand, or do I need both front & rear to keep it level? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't changed my oil yet. Can oil be completely drained (you know, with the shape of the oil pan & all) using only a rear stand, or do I need both front & rear to keep it level? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
You need only the rear stand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just picked up the stand that goes under the swingarm and when I go to lift it the bike is sitting crooked. The swingarm is on a different angle on each side. I guess I'll take it back and get the one for spools.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just picked up the stand that goes under the swingarm and when I go to lift it the bike is sitting crooked. The swingarm is on a different angle on each side. I guess I'll take it back and get the one for spools.
Put a 2x4 under the sidestand, the bike will be almost standing streight up. Adjust the lift arms to the proper distance apart to fit under the swingarm, position the lift arms just behind the threaded bongs that would hold the spools, this will keep the bike from sliding forward on the swingarm. Its safer to have someone hold the bike up the first few times you use it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts