Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
No matter what shock is on your bike - you STILL NEED to 'set the sag'.

To simplify it: say your bike does NOT 'settle' when you sit on your seat - you're NOT USING a 'bunch' of your suspension's travel, so it will be OVERLY HARSH!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I always (so far) set suspension based on what feels right. Or, least wrong. Result, in this case? Almost exactly 45mm. ;)

For the Ohlins KA 907, they recommend 10mm of preload. I settled on 9mm. Tried 8mm last night; probably going right back to 9mm. It's a moving target though, often carry 30+ lbs of cargo, and riding gear a varies a bit. I weigh 195 lb.

Hey, maybe someone can answer answer this front suspension question, without starting new thread. Twice now, heard a sharp metallic sound from the front during a big bump or dip. Is that just how the front sounds when it bottoms? Forks in stock position. No visible impact damage to exhaust pipes. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
...Twice now, heard a sharp metallic sound from the front during a big bump or dip. Is that just how the front sounds when it bottoms? Forks in stock position. No visible impact damage to exhaust pipes. Thanks!
Any chance that your fork-oil level is down...?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I always (so far) set suspension based on what feels right. Or, least wrong. Result, in this case? Almost exactly 45mm. ;)

For the Ohlins KA 907, they recommend 10mm of preload. I settled on 9mm. Tried 8mm last night; probably going right back to 9mm. It's a moving target though, often carry 30+ lbs of cargo, and riding gear a varies a bit. I weigh 195 lb.

Hey, maybe someone can answer answer this front suspension question, without starting new thread. Twice now, heard a sharp metallic sound from the front during a big bump or dip. Is that just how the front sounds when it bottoms? Forks in stock position. No visible impact damage to exhaust pipes. Thanks!
this is not good. you need to put more oil or check the forks. I don't know how it feels with front forks bottoming out. but with rear shock, it feels like it hits the bottom in dull kind of way.

as the rear shock preload, you need to check the rider's sag. the ohlins' recommendations are too vague and do not take into consideration the exact weight of a rider. and where you measure the 10mm from? you mean the threads showing? usually, one starts from the spring being hand tight, and then going from there.

Recently I fitted the Ohlins rear shock on Klx 230 and even with the harder spring, I had to increase the rebound a LOT to avoid bottoming out.

·
Registered
991 Posts
No matter what shock is on your bike - you STILL NEED to 'set the sag'.

To simplify it: say your bike does NOT 'settle' when you sit on your seat - you're NOT USING a 'bunch' of your suspension's travel, so it will be OVERLY HARSH!
I was wondering about it. ok, when riding off-road you want to have less sag, to avoid bottoming out. but i am riding V on tarmac only. and I did not notice any issues with having sag more than 50mm. in fact, it lowers the bike which I like.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
So how DOES a V2 versys 650 sound when bottoming out the front? :) Come to think of it, not sure I could answer that for any of my other bikes. Rear bottoms out far more on the others. Haven't really experienced that on versus yes. Pretty nice looking little rubber bumper on the Ohlins. (On two of my dualsports, the foam bumper was gone... cut some little foam discs, with circular hole in middle and slit one side, slipped them right in very successfully.)

Measured shock preload by letting spring fully uncompress (which doesn't even require getting rear wheel off ground on this bike), and subtracting measured spring length from specified actual spring length.

I prefer softer ride for street bikes in rough road conditions, prioritizing softer ride over ground clearance. But this bike doesn't seem to tolerate a softer rear end without the handling becoming displeasing for me. 45mm sag and 9mm preload seems about as soft as I like. ( I should find out what weight spring I have on my Ohlins.)

(I know, many people will tell you that preload has no effect on how soft the suspension is. That has not been my experience at all.)

·
Super Moderator
20,411 Posts
So how DOES a V2 versys 650 sound when bottoming out the front?....
I can't tell you, because (in the 155,000 PLUS miles I've ridden my THREE V650s) I've never bottomed-out either end.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
991 Posts
So how DOES a V2 versys 650 sound when bottoming out the front? :) Come to think of it, not sure I could answer that for any of my other bikes. Rear bottoms out far more on the others. Haven't really experienced that on versus yes. Pretty nice looking little rubber bumper on the Ohlins. (On two of my dualsports, the foam bumper was gone... cut some little foam discs, with circular hole in middle and slit one side, slipped them right in very successfully.)

Measured shock preload by letting spring fully uncompress (which doesn't even require getting rear wheel off ground on this bike), and subtracting measured spring length from specified actual spring length.

I prefer softer ride for street bikes in rough road conditions, prioritizing softer ride over ground clearance. But this bike doesn't seem to tolerate a softer rear end without the handling becoming displeasing for me. 45mm sag and 9mm preload seems about as soft as I like. ( I should find out what weight spring I have on my Ohlins.)

(I know, many people will tell you that preload has no effect on how soft the suspension is. That has not been my experience at all.)
yes, the preload has no effect on soft/hard suspension. it is just about the hight of the bike, and possible bottoming or topping out. read the 'suspension bible'. however, it may feel like the bike is softer when you have less preload, because there is an initial more travel...

as far as bottoming out in the front, there are two scenarios. one is hydraulic lock, when you have too much oil, and it feels similar to bottoming at the rear, just a firm hit. and if you do not have too much oil, it feels like a metalic hit.

ok, the 650 has 150 suspension travel? 1/3 sag is the usual recommendation. i have more sag and i am ok, no bottoming out even with a pillion. based on my personal and limited experience, you should be ok between 50/60/70mm as long as you ride on regular roads.

by the way, i have great experience in bottoming out. i just recently damaged my yss rear shock in Klx 230 and had to send it back for repair :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Guess my bikes just FEEL softer and less harsh, with less preload. :)

I should try more sag. Feels like the bike could handle it without a bunch of bottoming, and I really like softer suspension... But somehow fthe handling seems to become less pleasing. Rarely carry a passenger, but often carry heavy loads. I run 32 psi to keep things less harsh. Preload in front set proximately three rotations softer than stock.

Still not sure how much of the awesome handling I'm experiencing is due to the taller 150 70 rear tire. Reckon I can explore that by lowering the front again and seeing how it feels.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have YSS rear shock and I have both damping and compression adjustment. because I like rear suspension to be soft, I just set the compression to minimum. i am not riding the bike aggressively, so for me the handling is just fine.

that stuff about spring preload having influence of softness/hardness has been a subject to many discussions. according to 'experts', it should not make any difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Do you like YSS shock? Know what the model number is? Don't know if they are available in the United States. Adjustable compression damping sounds nice. :) Though actually pretty happy with my low end Ohlins. Until it gets bumpy... :-(

21 - 31 of 31 Posts