Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a 2015 Versys 650 with panniers and a factory top box. I found the top box more useful and never had an issue with handling. Rode it 50% of the time with panniers and top box and 50% with top box only. As I said, no issues with handling, low or high speed, also found the top box more useful than the panniers.
Dave

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 650 2016
17 Posts
Top boxes are designed with a specific speed that it can handle, it is indicated in the manual of the top box. Mine is an SEC 45L, ride without an issue in handling, not tested on the specified limit of 130 km/h.
Wheel Tire Helmet Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
5 Posts
2019 V1K with the big Shad top case. Love having the storage space. Very helpful for stowing all the cold weather gear at the beginning and end of the riding season. Also handy for stowing book bag with laptop and lunch when riding into work. No issues at normal speeds and just a little "hunting" at high speeds (>80mph) but my V1K does that even without the top case. @limeex2 brings up a very important point (which the Kawasaki owners manual also mentions) and that is to keep the weight down in the top case. Going from memory but I think the limit is 10-15lbs??? The top case is a bad place to put a lot of weight, affects the bikes stability. For what it's worth I typically keep light bulky stuff in the top case and attach a travel bag on the passenger seat when doing multiday trips. Don't like to use side cases for various reasons.

View attachment 189511
0ff topic, but that's a pretty comfy looking seat you hit there. What is it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
0ff topic, but that's a pretty comfy looking seat you hit there. What is it?
The seat is from Seth Laam. Seth is a true craftsman. The seat is a definite improvement over stock but still not as comfortable as I'd like. On the other hand I may never find the "perfect" seat due to some back issues. I've found that motorcycle seat comfort is highly subjective as we're all built differently! Best way to reach Seth is via phone.

·
Super Moderator
21,681 Posts
I could put THREE 30-can cases of beer into this one I had on my KLR650, tho' I would ONLY ride from the beer-store back home w/ it FULL. Probably 15 to 20 miles.

H - Painted Rocks-Joe/109.JPG by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
25 Posts
^^^ this is a really good point. 'Passenger weight,' whether in the form of an actual human passenger or an object tied where the passenger would sit, is weight that will have a less-detrimental effect on handling than weight some other places, say, in a large top case. Centralization of mass, etc.

Edit: 'this' = final post on p1. Sorry I got out of order here

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had a 2015 Versys 650 with panniers and a factory top box. I found the top box more useful and never had an issue with handling. Rode it 50% of the time with panniers and top box and 50% with top box only. As I said, no issues with handling, low or high speed, also found the top box more useful than the panniers.
Dave
Imho, on a thou, the top box with little in it, is a benign addition;
however it has the potential to contain a lot of weight
in the worst possible position... A long way behind the C of G and a long way above the C of G.

If you have no pillion and need to carry a load, its best
to have it as close to the C of G as practical... on the pillion seat (or panniers...
however! depending on the width and design, panniers [like top boxes] can present aerodynamic issues)
The V thou is capable of very high speeds, and generally aerodynamic issues
go up to the square of velocity... ie double the speed = 4 times the issues.
Head Bone Jaw Gesture Skull

As good as my V650 is, I ride my ZX12R to
my twice yearly fishing expedition interstate.
My gear is mostly on the pillion seat
in the aerodynamic wake of my torso and helmet... the muffler pretty much excludes the use of panniers. See image below.

Textile "sacks" must be well secured to keep movement to a minimum
as movement of the load can cause dynamic aerodynamic instability
as well as dynamic mechanical instability.

I hope I haven't muddied the waters too much... Knock yourself out with your top
box just dont put too much weight in it. I reckon a pair of aero panniers would
be the best option if you travel fast though.

The ZX12R with a 38 litre gear sack and fishing gear (unfortunately not a self loading SUV/4x4 seeking missile launcher) ready for a 3 day interstate fishing holiday. The heaviest concentration of weight
in the sack is/was 1.4 kg of emergency petrol (gasoline) in the bottom front of the sack, the rest was fishing tackle, chain lube, an aerosol can of tyre inflator-foam, clothes, and a pair of Saucony Perigrines.

Under the back seat is a small storage compartment that contains a puncture repair kit,
tools, and small sundry items.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Plant Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good points above. I had a Ventura bike-pack system on my CBR929RR, and the heavy stuff went in there on the passenger seat, while the sleeping bag and pad went on the Ventura rack.

Bike was still fast ;-)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good points above. I had a Ventura bike-pack system on my CBR929RR, and the heavy stuff went in there on the passenger seat, while the sleeping bag and pad went on the Ventura rack.

Bike was still fast ;-)
Full size Fireblades were/are never slow. Was there ever a CBR929R... only one R?

I've got a 93 YZF 750R-SP... it's substancialy different from YZF 750R

21 - 30 of 30 Posts