Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to add a top case especially as fall approaches so I can have the right gear for the temperature when I’m on long rides. I’m a little worried that adding a top case will affect frisky riding though. Has anyone added a top case and noticed a difference? I already have the factory panniers installed and the top case I’m looking at is the same as the factory one. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,332 Posts
I had a Givi E-55 Topcase on my 2016 and had no issues. I was always running high speeds out here in SoCal...

P1020355 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm just an accountant, so maybe some engineers will have a different opinion... but it seems like the windscreen and your body should pretty much deflect any wind around the top box, so you don't have to worry about wind resistance. Unless you plan on putting a 100-pound bowling ball in there and not tying it down, I don't think the static weight will create enough impact to the COG that you would even notice it.:unsure:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just an accountant, so maybe some engineers will have a different opinion... but it seems like the windscreen and your body should pretty much deflect any wind around the top box, so you don't have to worry about wind resistance. Unless you plan on putting a 100-pound bowling ball in there and not tying it down, I don't think the static weight will create enough impact to the COG that you would even notice it.:unsure:
This is basically what I was thinking as well, but wasn’t sure if there was something I had not considered. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 80 liter aluminum top box on mine.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Just need to make sure rear preload is adjusted correctly for the weight otherwise it would feel floaty, tail heavy and awkward. With the correct rear preload, I don't even feel it unless there are gusty crosswinds.

That said, make sure to practice low speed turns in a safe area to acclimate with the higher center of gravity (similar to having a pillion).
Had ridden like that up to 130 kph (100kph speed limits in my country) and had no issues.

Make sure also to not overload the brackets and check tire pressures.

Anything smaller and lighter will definitely be good on the Versys so long as you are aware of the higher CoG and added weight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an 80 liter aluminum top box on mine.
View attachment 189480
Just need to make sure rear preload is adjusted correctly for the weight otherwise it would feel floaty, tail heavy and awkward. With the correct rear preload, I don't even feel it unless there are gusty crosswinds.

That said, make sure to practice low speed turns in a safe area to acclimate with the higher center of gravity (similar to having a pillion).
Had ridden like that up to 130 kph (100kph speed limits in my country) and had no issues.

Make sure also to not overload the brackets and check tire pressures.

Anything smaller and lighter will definitely be good on the Versys so long as you are aware of the higher CoG and added weight.
Will do, thanks for the info

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
You'll be able to detect a 30lb loaded top box during slow speed turns but not in a hugely negative way. It may take a few milliseconds longer, in a sudden change of direction, to swing the bike from a full left lean to a full right lean.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
795 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I went on the smaller size-medium harbor freight box. Loaded it’s mostly unnoticeable on my 300. Think it mostly comes down to how much weight before affecting handling.

View attachment 189488

A strong, gusting side wind might change your thinking.

·
Registered
2022 Versys 650
36 Posts
I really want to add a top case especially as fall approaches so I can have the right gear for the temperature when I’m on long rides. I’m a little worried that adding a top case will affect frisky riding though. Has anyone added a top case and noticed a difference? I already have the factory panniers installed and the top case I’m looking at is the same as the factory one. Thanks in advance.
I can't see in this Thread what bike you have or what year etc, but on the current bike Kawasaki said IF you have Factory Pannier bags, NOT to fit a top box.
Same advice as per my 2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE. My guess is that the rear sub frame is deemed to be compromised with the leverage generated from a loaded top box back to the front mountings, plus Rider and Pillion weights.
Here's the 650 pannier accessory page noted, which is my bike guess bet 300 and 1000. https://www.kawasaki.com.au/en-au/shop/accessories/motorcycle/ex650mnfnn/12889/pannier-set

Rob.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I can't see in this Thread what bike you have or what year etc, but on the current bike Kawasaki said IF you have Factory Pannier bags, NOT to fit a top box.
Same advice as per my 2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE. My guess is that the rear sub frame is deemed to be compromised with the leverage generated from a loaded top box back to the front mountings, plus Rider and Pillion weights.
Here's the 650 pannier accessory page noted, which is my bike guess bet 300 and 1000. https://www.kawasaki.com.au/en-au/shop/accessories/motorcycle/ex650mnfnn/12889/pannier-set

Rob.
that might be a bikes-specific issue, if the top box mounting bracket uses the same bolt holes that the side boxes use? The V1K is marketed and sold from the factory with both a top box and side boxes, and their mounting points are entirely independent of one another.

Smiley said:
A strong, gusting side wind might change your thinking.
I'm confused a bit. I've logged a lot of trip miles, some with significant cross winds that lasted for hours (40MPG+ gusts). When you look at the side profile of the bike, plus rider, the top box adds hardly any additional surface area to the mix. A competent rider should be able to compensate for a slightly higher COG?!?!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Givi 46L case here. Came on my used bike.

Hate the looks. Yuck! Gross! Who needs this?

A few rides later...

Still hate the looks, but dang, it totally works and carries a ton of stuff and I don't even notice it. I can't see it when underway. And unless I stuffed lead bricks in it, I doubt it'd affect riding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a v1k. At "normal" speeds(<80mph) its fine and can't tell its back there. At 120 she'll start to wiggle. You guys that load 'em up better pay attention to your steering head bearings. Learn how to adjust them. With your hands off the bars, and a big load, it WILL go into a head shake.

·
Registered
278 Posts
2019 V1K with the big Shad top case. Love having the storage space. Very helpful for stowing all the cold weather gear at the beginning and end of the riding season. Also handy for stowing book bag with laptop and lunch when riding into work. No issues at normal speeds and just a little "hunting" at high speeds (>80mph) but my V1K does that even without the top case. @limeex2 brings up a very important point (which the Kawasaki owners manual also mentions) and that is to keep the weight down in the top case. Going from memory but I think the limit is 10-15lbs??? The top case is a bad place to put a lot of weight, affects the bikes stability. For what it's worth I typically keep light bulky stuff in the top case and attach a travel bag on the passenger seat when doing multiday trips. Don't like to use side cases for various reasons.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

1 - 20 of 30 Posts