Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve recently purchased a 2017 650 with about 3,500 miles. I’ve put about 600 miles on the bike so far and just noticed the other day as I let go of the bars to lean back and stretch that the bars started wobbling. Not enough to call it a tank slapper, but enough for me to quickly grab the bars and pucker just a bit. Rode home, holding the bars the entire time, with no issues. High speed/low speed no issues or weird handling with 1 or 2 hands on the bar. I was riding last night around 50mph and let go of the bars for some reason and the same thing happened again. Again, quickly grabbed to bars and everything was back to normal. Any idea why this may be happening? I had a bad wreck on a dirt bike from a tank slapper and it has me a bit worried.

Only mod to the bike is a Givi Outback 42 top case. First time i had a backpack and computer in the case and second time it was just a handful of clothes.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
Suggest removing your "Givi Outback 42 top case" and trying the 'remove hands' AGAIN. MIGHT be that case is upsetting something.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have same problem, I also have Givi Outback 42 top case.
Empty top rack, when I left handlebar to adjust my gloves and handlebar start to wobble a little at speed 50-65km/h.
But when top rack was fully loaded I have handlebar wobble start by 30km/h and on if i don't have at least 1 hand on handlebar.

After I change OEM Dunlop tires (17 800km on them) with Pilot Road 4, handlebar wobble don't exist anymore even if top rack are fully loaded (10kg load in top rack)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have same problem, I also have Givi Outback 42 top case.
Empty top rack, when I left handlebar to adjust my gloves and handlebar start to wobble a little at speed 50-65km/h.
But when top rack was fully loaded I have handlebar wobble start by 30km/h and on if i don't have at least 1 hand on handlebar.

After I change OEM Dunlop tires (17 800km on them) with Pilot Road 4, handlebar wobble don't exist anymore even if top rack are fully loaded (10kg load in top rack)
Interesting on the tires affecting that. I’m looking to put some 705s on soon. Hopefully that’ll make a difference for me as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suggest removing your "Givi Outback 42 top case" and trying the 'remove hands' AGAIN. MIGHT be that case is upsetting something.
I was planning to try that, but i ride 2up without any issues. Although i dont take my hands off for any significant amount of time while 2up.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Handling issues can have many causes, but I'd begin by checking tire wear (particularly road-crown wear on the front), direction, and inflation, and rear preload (too little will make the front end light, which can contribute to the wobbles.)

Reactions: Lours_Polaire

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Tire balance, front wheel bearings, steering stem bearings
steering bearings and steering bearing adjustment are always suspect. i've had my hands on plenty of the ER6 platform bikes, and never found a single one that had both good bearings and adjustment, usually bad bearings and no adjustment. remember, the factory assembly didn't necessarily include grease on those bearings.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
Interesting on the tires affecting that. I’m looking to put some 705s on soon. Hopefully that’ll make a difference for me as well.
I've run SHINKO E-705s for quite some time, and on fairly LONG rides (eg: Kelowna, BC to the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska), fairly loaded-down w/ camping gear - NO 'wobble' issues.

P6144943 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P6185023 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P6205087 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve recently purchased a 2017 650 with about 3,500 miles. I’ve put about 600 miles on the bike so far and just noticed the other day as I let go of the bars to lean back and stretch that the bars started wobbling. Not enough to call it a tank slapper, but enough for me to quickly grab the bars and pucker just a bit. Rode home, holding the bars the entire time, with no issues. High speed/low speed no issues or weird handling with 1 or 2 hands on the bar. I was riding last night around 50mph and let go of the bars for some reason and the same thing happened again. Again, quickly grabbed to bars and everything was back to normal. Any idea why this may be happening? I had a bad wreck on a dirt bike from a tank slapper and it has me a bit worried.

Only mod to the bike is a Givi Outback 42 top case. First time i had a backpack and computer in the case and second time it was just a handful of clothes.
I've had that occur on a number of bikes over the years and it was always a front tire that had worn out of balance. You could try rebalancing or just replacing the tire.

·
Registered
185 Posts

As so many others have suggested... it may be turbulence created by your
top box, however my first thought from the symptoms you have described
is; front tyre.

Possibly the previous owner ran the bike without checking air pressure frequently
enough... causing the tread on the front tyre to "scallop"... this will cause the symptoms
you describe exactly.

Imbalance of the wheel/tyre assembly could cause the symptom you describe too, so could "run out"
of the wheel/s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts