Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently replaced my chain (DID VX2) and sprockets (JT, stock sizes).

A new vibration appeared, noticeable above 120 km/h (75 mph).

The vibration is felt mostly on the handlebar, but I believe it is coming from the rear.

As the speed increases, so does the frequency of the vibration and also its strenght.

It vibrates about 2 times a second when at 120 km/h.

is this familiar to anyone?

PS.: It is not the whiny sound from not dampened sprockets.

Enviado de meu ALE-UL00 usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lots of factors that could cause this newly felt vibration I would guess, but....

Make sure the rear sprocket maching is "centered" on its mount holes with no "up/down" as it spins. I've seen a couple "not round" sprockets over the years.

Next and most likely, make sure there aren't tight spots in the chain from an over pressed master.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
hows your chain slack and alignment? also did you check your new sprocket for warp/throw out?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of factors that could cause this newly felt vibration I would guess, but....

Make sure the rear sprocket maching is "centered" on its mount holes with no "up/down" as it spins. I've seen a couple "not round" sprockets over the years.

Next and most likely, make sure there aren't tight spots in the chain from an over pressed master.
If the master link is over pressed, can I loosen it?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Slack is file, I'll check the align tonight. What is warp/throw out?

is the sprocket flat or warped... with the rear wheel lifted spin the wheel and rest a tooth pick or pencil (or about anything) on the swing arm right near the end of the rear sprocket put it to were its a hair from the sprocket. and spin the wheel . if it goes from not touching the sprocket to touching it its got some warp. if my terrible discretion isnt understandable i can take photos to help

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I washed the bike and cleaned the chain with kerosene.
The master link seems to be a little bit stiffer than the others (as it is a brand new chain), but not stuck; it is better now.
The rear sprocket is centered and flat (per eye check) and aligned, I have an alignment tool and checked it.
I will lube the chain tomorrow and take her for a ride, if the problem still persists I'll take it back to the shop where I had the chain and sprockets replaced and tell them to deal with it.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts