Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unable to find any handlebar threads on the Versys forums (which I find most unbelievable) and now I have a problem with my handlebars.

Dropped the bike hard on an asphalt road on its right side the other day. :badidea: Fairing is scratched up, but worse is that the handlebars are slightly off center. Bike still runs fine, no pulling to left or right, no wheel noises, but going down the road I notice my handlebars are skewed.

Is there anything I can do to straighten out the bars or must I take it to a shop with special tools? :feedback:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Handlebars are cheap. Get it replaced.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
You might just need to tweak your front end back in alignment by leaning the front edge of front tire on a buildng corner or tree and yanking on handlebars... Are the hamdlebars bent at all?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might just need to tweek your front end back in alignment by leaning the front edge of front tire on a buildng corner or tree and yanking on handlebars... Are the hamdlebars bent at all?
The handlebars are not bent in any way. What I meant by not straight was they are no longer "centered". And when going straight down the road the handlebars are not exactly perpendicular to the front tire. My guess is they are off by 5 to 10 degrees.

Seems lots of riders experience this after a fall and need to loosen or realign the triple clamp. You imply the same when you say tweak the front back in alignment by yanking on the handlebars. I will look at doing this when I return from work this evening.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So later on yesterday I decided to see if I could correct the problem. The bike was in the garage and on its side stand - too cold to ride.

I took my 6mm allen wrench and completely loosened the 3 top bolts on the left side. Then I tightened them up again. Went to the other side of the bike and completely loosened those 3 bolts and tightened them up again.

From just sitting on the bike and looking at the handlebars it sure seems that this has straightened them out. Only way to know for sure is to take it out on the road on a straight away and check how everything looks and feels.

Thanks for the advice and replies you provided me, I appreciate it.
Have a great day.

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
If your windscreen ever looks un-even or the cowling bolts don't line up to the holes after dropping your bike or in my case being hit by a car. It would be a bent inner cowl bracket.:topsecret:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine fell over and bent the bars. I just used a Large peice of PVC pipe over the grip and bent it back in place..

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Mine fell over and bent the bars. I just used a Large peice of PVC pipe over the grip and bent it back in place..
Hmmm... bending metal with plastic! :interesting:
A REALLY large piece of plastic....
:rolleyes:
For instance... 4" sewer pipe...?

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, if you want to pick a nit, you might try posting a link that is somewhat relevant to the topic. I saw lots of search results telling me PVC pressure ratings, proper application, etc. Funnily enough no ratings that apply to bending force or suitabilty for use as a pry bar, although I don't see why it wouldn't be strong enough. (there were some mentions of bending/flexural strength, but they were mostly applied to pipe at a certain pressure or under a test condition not easily transferred to sticking a bar in the pipe and pulling - although again it's probably strong enough in the 4" size).

My comment regarding your bar being weakened had nothing to do with PVC. If you were physically capable of applying enough force with less than 3 or 4 feet of leverage, then I think your bar is weakened. I don't care if you used titanium pipe as the lever, I was referring to the amount of force being applied to the bar, not the instrument transferring the force.

I stated what I did and you doubt what I am saying..
Says who? I don't doubt what you're saying, and never said that I did. I used some 3" PVC today to show my son how to use a cheater to get extra leverage so he could get his bike tire off. I don't doubt that a weakened bar could be bent back with some PVC, but I also don't doubt that it has been weakened. Has it been weakened enough to be a concern? No idea, but if you used a 6 inch piece of pipe to bend it back by hand, then I wouldn't trust it.

You do not know what you are taking about, just the crux of the matter.
What is it you think I'm talking about, because you don't seem to be addressing it very well....

:grinangel:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here is the point Mr Douche..There is nothing technical about this..You still have no clue..

So anyone out there that has a mild bent bar you can just use a piece of pvc pipe 2 1/2 inch 2 ft long put it over the grip and bent it back into shape without damaging your grips or scratching any parts..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is the point Mr Douche..There is nothing technical about this..You still have no clue..

So anyone out there that has a mild bent bar you can just use a piece of pvc pipe 2 1/2 inch 2 ft long put it over the grip and bent it back into shape without damaging your grips or scratching any parts..
You still have no idea what I've said. You are the one posting the cute lmgtfy stuff- that's what made it technical. Try reading what I've posted and tell me where I ever said that you couldn't bend bars with PVC?

Or just call some more names without even disagreeing with me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts