Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the nip in the morning air is once again upon us. My heated grips work great for keeping one side of my hands warm... the windy side still gets cold.

Any suggestions for some handguards good at blocking the wind? I'm not looking for bark busters and don't really want to have to modify the bar ends for mounting. Was looking at the type that mount with an offset clamp on the inside of the bars only. I like that idea. Only goal is to block some cold winter air.

What has everyone found to mount up the best?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
So the nip in the morning air is once again upon us. My heated grips work great for keeping one side of my hands warm... the windy side still gets cold.

Any suggestions for some handguards good at blocking the wind? I'm not looking for bark busters and don't really want to have to modify the bar ends for mounting. Was looking at the type that mount with an offset clamp on the inside of the bars only. I like that idea. Only goal is to block some cold winter air.

What has everyone found to mount up the best?

Thanks, Mike
Powermadd. They are available with a additional wind blocking wing. Here are some pics of them on my bike.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Silly question but are these purely fro blcking wind and no other purpose? Whats wrong with some decent gloves or do some people live in real real real cold places?:eek:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Silly question but are these purely fro blcking wind and no other purpose? Whats wrong with some decent gloves or do some people live in real real real cold places?:eek:
Yes Pennsylvania and New York get REAL REAL REAL COLD. Go farther north and add another REAL.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Powermadd. They are available with a additional wind blocking wing. Here are some pics of them on my bike.
Thanks! I just went to their site to take a look, and that's exactly what I need - more so than the Barkbusters I was planning to get.

Much appreciated tip!

·
Registered
121 Posts
4 REALS? That´s some cold.
Go a little further up, into eastern Ontario, and you can add two REALS to that!

On a bit more serious note: even in the Southeast US, we often get mornings near -10C; good wind protection can make the difference between commuting by bike or by cage. I haven't found the pair of (unheated) winter gloves yet that will work for me, even down here. Every bit of warmth helps, IMO...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah I suppose I cannot really appreciate that, here its normally around 10-15 in the winter and even if it does drop it rarely gets to freezing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
One more question, to Hawkshot: since they use a single-point mount, are the Powermadds stable at road / freeway speeds?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've tried handguards to keep my hands warm. I've discovered two problems with handguards:
1) They block too much air, I can't get enough cooling air in the late afternoon when it gets warmer. In other words, they're hard to adapt to changing conditions.
2) They hit my Givi windscreen, I can't turn full lock, without having to make cutouts in the windscreen, which I think would look funky.

I removed my handguards and bought electric heated gloves instead.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Ascender, I also use the powermadd guards (in the winter) and they are very secure even at several mph over the posted hwy speed. Before I got heated gloves I used heated grips and heavy winter gloves and hippo hands which caught the wind but couldn't push back into the levers due to the solid mounting of the powermadds.

·
Super Moderator
19,018 Posts
I have "Zetas" on my V. During the cold months I have the plastic guards ON, and when it warms up, I remove 2 screws and the plastic bits, so I get airflow over my hands.
Likewise, I use the stock windshield when it's warm, and change to my modded 'Majesty' shield when it's cold. :goodidea:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ascender, I also use the powermadd guards (in the winter) and they are very secure even at several mph over the posted hwy speed. Before I got heated gloves I used heated grips and heavy winter gloves and hippo hands which caught the wind but couldn't push back into the levers due to the solid mounting of the powermadds.
Just what I need to know. :thanx:

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've tried handguards to keep my hands warm. I've discovered two problems with handguards:
1) They block too much air, I can't get enough cooling air in the late afternoon when it gets warmer. In other words, they're hard to adapt to changing conditions.
2) They hit my Givi windscreen, I can't turn full lock, without having to make cutouts in the windscreen, which I think would look funky.

I removed my handguards and bought electric heated gloves instead.
I have the Powermadds. They're nice in that they have a removable insert which turns them into a mesh-like guard, so air flows through them (see pics in this post). I have no idea if they would hit a large screen, though (I think I've read a post that says they do?).

The only downside I have so far is that they don't work well with Speedy's mirror extenders, at least on my '08. The mirror post is almost flush with the clutch lever, so I have to add a pile o'washers to raise the extender up.

Dave C

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why do you not like the bark busters? No mods to install and the total time to set them up was about 20 min.
The Barkbusters do look good; they're a bit more than what I need, though, both in terms of protection (I'm not doing any meaningful off-roading) and cost. I also like the normal / mesh / extender setup of the Powermadds, which may make it possible to use them year-round.

I just ordered a set yesterday, so I'll find out soon enough...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Why do you not like the bark busters? No mods to install and the total time to set them up was about 20 min.
I like the look of the Barkbusters. They look real beefy and will provide protection in a fall. But the Powermadds that I have offer a whole lot more wind protection with the taller insert installed. I am not running single track through the woods needing to block rocks from hitting my hands. I want to block the cold wind.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went with these - http://powermadd.com/products/PowerXhandguard.html

They had them at a local shop in Kawa Green, matches the green V nicely.

Took 5 minutes to install. I like the flexible mount, they do move around a bit at speeds but not excessive. They are smaller than Star series but seem good enough to block the wind, and as I found out the other day they work pretty good at keeping my hands dryer in the rain too.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts