Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please excuse me if this has been asked before, but I did a search and didn't come up with an exact answer.

Is there a hand signal for "accident ahead" ?

This past weekend the car about 1/4 mile in front of me clipped a deer. I made it through the scatter of grill and headlight parts just fine, as most of the parts ended up in the other (oncoming) lane. I will admit it was a little un-nerving tho. A mile or two farther up the road I met two bikers and the only thing I knew to do was to give them the "slow down" hand signal hoping it would help them avoid the debris in their lane ahead.

I'm a new rider and trying to be as educated as possible. I've learned all the "standard" hand signals and try to wave when it is safe to do so and at least give a head nod when my left hand is busy. Just curious if there was any better way to communicate what they were heading into.

Thanks everyone,

Mitch

·
Registered
54 Posts
Been a cop for a while in two different states. I have never seen an "accident" signal and would guess that some different geographical regions may have one. If you flash you lights at the oncomming riders they will assume there is a cop running radar ahead and would slow down. Now I see that one work all of the time. Maybe someone should make one up but i'm thinking any one handed signal smashing, slapping or thrusting to imitate an accident may be perceived as a threatening gesture.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
the left hand pointing upwards and describing a circle is signalizing a police ahead.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The "Hazard Ahead" hand signal could have been used, by pointing at the opposing lane with your left arm extended straight out and down to your left side, pointing your index finger at the road in the path of the oncoming motorcyclists.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
The "Hazard Ahead" hand signal could have been used, by pointing at the opposing lane with your left arm extended straight out and down to your left side, pointing your index finger at the road in the path of the oncoming motorcyclists.
...which COULD be miss-interpreted as a Harley 'wave'....

·
Registered
521 Posts
Or left hand tapping one's helmet is also used for police ahead.
I got that one just the other day...knew what it meant, but hadn't seen it for years. Sure enough, one of our fine CHP cruisers :usa: up ahead a few corners as I putt-putt-putted by. :clap: I've seen lot of cars flash their lights to indicate the same thing.

As has been said, I think I would go with the left hand palm down doing the patting/slow down motion for a "danger ahead" signal.
:cheers:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Hog riders point down to the road? Wow, they are so cool... Hand signals are not very obvious, especially when it's dark out... I just turned on my hazard lights to attempt warning oncoming motorists of a couple cows roaming on the highway at sundown near Kelowna once.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts