Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting some handguards soon with winter coming, and was wondering what you guys have and can I still keep my bar-ends when I add these. All feedback will be appriciated. I'm sure this has been a subject in the past that I had missed. Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the style but is the wind protection that bad? That is my main concern. Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have the powermadd and they aren't attached to the bar ends. i added the extenders on the top.
Thanks for the tip on the handguard extension. I found that not having to mess with the bar end was a plus when moving the PowerMadd Star series hand guards around to avoid my large windshield.

Tony

·
Registered
852 Posts
The Barkbusters VPS handguards were designed for bikes with out barends. Although the Barkbuster barends are shorter than the stock ones some of the wind protection is pushed to the outside. If I keep the outside edge of my hands over the barends I get more protection but it is awkward to operate the bike. I believe the gap above the "ar" in Bark is the culprit.

I forgot to mention earlier that there can be issues with Barkbusters touching larger aftermarket windscreens like the Givi windscreen, with the handle bars turned full left or right.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yes they come in red and gray and ...

Thanks for the reply I'll have to see if they make them in red, can you guys let me know what they go for.
I got the red and gray (silver they claim). I was very dissatisfied with the look. However, a can of red spray later they look much better. They bump into the vario windshield at full lock. I have the right guard hardware loose enough so I can lower it before I lock the andle bar. They still bump though. They work pretty well to keep wind from my hands.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Barkbusters...got rid of my stock weights and used my bar end mirrors as a spacer. Also used the rubber guards from the old mirrors to create a rubber grommet to hide the space between the end of the bars and the mirrors. They work great and I really like how they filled out the front of the bike a little more.

For wind resistance, I tested them the other morning when the temp dropped to ~40*. I rode to Baton Rouge and back which is around 90 miles. Parts of my body were pretty cold, but my hands were good. About as cold as they would be if there were no wind on them in 40* temperatures.

VERY sturdy and not too expensive. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I think I would like the plastics on the storm barkbusters much better than the VPS barkbusters that I have. I think part of my problem with the VPS guards is that the Givi windscreen may be deflecting air into the notch in the plastic on the VPS guards. I just installed Rox Anti-Vibe handlebar risers which gave me enough space to prevent the handguards from hitting the Givi windscreen. Having the bars further back may solve my wind problem as well. I'll try to remember to report back.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ktm

I think you'll get better wind protection from the KTM handguards than most of the off-road types that have an aluminum bar like the Barkbusters, because the section that wraps around is bigger and fits closer to the grips so it keeps more air and rain off your hands.

BTW, I don't think the bar end weights do much, I removed them and couldn't really see a difference. Try riding without them and see if it makes a noticeable difference to you.

Gustavo

·
Registered
307 Posts
Gustavo --- How durable are the KTM ones , I assume they shouldn't break if your off-road and land on a rock or similar , seeming how KTK is an off-road company , I always prefer the aluminum wraparound ones for the fact that when you crash in a remote area ( a national park or the Alaska hwy for example ) , the levers don't usually break and your fingers don't get crushed . The way your are mounted they look rather durable and look to give good weather protection ........thoughts ??

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
How durable are the KTM ones , I assume they shouldn't break if your off-road and land on a rock or similar
They are well made, KTM uses these on the 950/990 Adventure, but there is little doubt that the ones that have an aluminum bar through them are more robust as far as lever protection is concerned. On my dirt bikes I use Cycra ProBend guards, because they have a high tendency to "hit" things. The Cycra's have a larger plastic shield, but protect your hands from wind and rain less than the KTM guards. If you think you'll be dropping the Versys often on hard stuff, maybe an aluminum reinforcement bar is not a bad idea.

Gustavo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts