Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the last month here I was noticing a slight jerkiness under acceleration and when I would let off. I kept thinking it was the engine (fuel injection system) and it seemed to be getting worse. I noticed the chain need to be adjusted so I adjusted it went for a short ride then the next day I noticed it was loose again and thought WTH put it up on the stand and was starting to loosen everything up to adjusted again when I noticed spinning the tire around the chain would go from super loose to being almost tight. That's when it dawned on me what was going on. I had never had a chain go bad with less than 10,000 miles on it or one that seem to partially stretch, my last two bikes went well over 20,000 before I ever replace the chain. I've always keep my chains clean and lube with PJ1 blue, always seem to get good miles out of them. I was a little surprised it only lasted this long.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
943 Posts
Maybe an "out of round" sprocket caused it?

We made a 1,500 mile ride and a riding friend toasted a chain. Upon closer inspection, it was discovered that there was a gross misalignment.

It made no special noise. Nothing to indicate the misalignment.

???

For me, I would be looking everything very close.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did look at the rear sprocket pretty close it looks to me like it spun pretty true, but I did throw a 44 tooth on back in June when I did a short trip up north maybe about 500 miles decided I did not like the 44 tooth so I went back to the stock 46 and I have to say it wasn't long after that I started to notice the jerkiness.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
The same thing happened with the original chain on my 2007. It stretched unevenly from the start, and I replaced it at just under 3000 miles.

Make sure your rear wheel is properly aligned, as the swingarm reference marks are usually off. You can check with a straight edge (or with Motion Pro alignment tool) on rear sprocket to make sure it's aligned with front sprocket... Mine needs to be set ahead on the right by half the distance between 2 lines to be perfectly aligned.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Any time you change the chain, you should change the sprockets.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
onewizard - I replaced the chain on my '15 shortly after returning from my D2D 2016 ride (23,187 kms). It was EXTREMELY noisy just before I changed it (I aligned it early-on), but I rationalized that as being from riding in rain for so long, even tho' I lubed it often....

My '08 got aprox. 56K MILES on its OEM chain.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
My '11 was toast before I finished my 15 state 7000 mile tour back in '12. It had 15,000 on it when I changed it. O-rings were blown out. The replacement aftermarket x-ring chain was still good at the 30,000 mile mark when I traded.

I may end up replacing my FZ-07 chain early because it seems to get loose real quick.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
What is that photo of?
A VERY worn rear sprocket!! Like this one...:surprise:

I'm NEVER using an all aluminum one again.
I went with a Supersprox.

The best of both worlds; steel teeth and aluminum center :smile2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts