Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my bike in to the dealer for it's second valve adjustment last Friday.

The first valve adjustment was at 15k miles by an independent mechanic, and when he sync'd the TBs he backed out the adjuster screws a bit which made throttle response much smoother--at least off idle, or for low throttle inputs.

The last service, at 38k miles apparently the dealer went back to the factory set up. At first I thought the bike was more responsive, until I realized they just adjusted the factory snatchy throttle back in. Today I was getting used to riding it again. I've had a smooth throttle for just over a year now.

I never bothered with the TPS mod on this site before, but now I might--it sounds easier than re-syncing the TBs with the screws backed out further.

FWIW at the 1st valve adjustment 7 valves got adjusted. This time 3. Both times the tech adjusted valves that were near the limit, not just out of spec. I didn't get a before/after report this time, but the 1st time most of the valves were close but still within spec.

It looks like the wisdom I gleaned from the forums one this was correct: do the 1st valve check early, but after that the factory service intervals are good. At least that seems to have worked so far.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why did you take it to the dealer, just out of curiosity?
Mechanic who did it before was busy being a race mechanic. I didn't want to put on another 1000 miles waiting until he was free.

Not eager to do shim under bucket myself, and I didn't really consider doing it until it was too late for me to order a shim kit in time.

FWIW fuel economy is down now too. I had been seeing the fuel warning at around 224 miles. I saw it at 202 miles today, on the tank I got after the service. It's kind of early for them to have switched to Winter gas, so I expect it's mostly from the TB adjustment. They could have switched gas though, and I did buy from a different station than usual.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I just got my Versys back from its 15K service (minus oil change). I had the valves inspected and when I picked it up, the service guy told me they were all in spec, no adjustments needed. This seems to go against the norm, but I guess it's not a bad thing right?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
David, I think I would have waited for the Race guy! I had 3 exhaust out of spec at 12k miles. My mechanic, also a race guy, said, "that's good, you're using it like you should." Checked again at 22 & 36, no adjustment needed.
There's no magic to the numbers, unless you happen to be under warrantee I guess. I just have it done in the winter, along with the plugs and air filter, and TB sync. The shop can use the work in the winter, and they remember that come summer and I need some tires mounted before a trip.

·
Premium Member
16,198 Posts
Mechanic who did it before was busy being a race mechanic. I didn't want to put on another 1000 miles waiting until he was free.

Not eager to do shim under bucket myself, and I didn't really consider doing it until it was too late for me to order a shim kit in time.

FWIW fuel economy is down now too. I had been seeing the fuel warning at around 224 miles. I saw it at 202 miles today, on the tank I got after the service. It's kind of early for them to have switched to Winter gas, so I expect it's mostly from the TB adjustment. They could have switched gas though, and I did buy from a different station than usual.

Wouldn't be quite sure about them switching to winter gas yet. The last few weeks my mpg has had a noticeable drop. Were are you located in Cali? I take my bike to a shop in Hunting Beach and he does great work...http://www.rcalracing.com .The last set of tires i put on my bike he got them cheaper than i could on-line and they were delivered to his shop the next day. I had him do a major tune-up Change plugs oil,filter,Valve check,Chain maintenance,lube cables clean air filter,etc,etc. It was alittle over $400.00

1 - 11 of 11 Posts